Home » Audio » Source » Reel to Reel
Reel to Reel [message #67851] Wed, 25 May 2011 15:34 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do you prefer to record on 24 track tape? Do you always record on tape, or does it depend on availability?

I don't have access to 24 track tape right now, but I never got comfortable with it anyway since I learned to record using ProTools.
Re: Reel to Reel [message #67852 is a reply to message #67851] Wed, 25 May 2011 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Reel-to-reel isn't used by pros anymore but for the uber-high-end, there's no better distribution media for the recordings that were originally mastered on tape.
Re: Reel to Reel [message #67857 is a reply to message #67851] Wed, 25 May 2011 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I prefer bounce down and back to digital for drums, keyboards and Bass Guitar. Those are the ones that benefit from the saturation since they get really low, it would tame down the highs to darken things a bit. I would double the analog tracks with a digital recording as well. There is no substitute if you want a recording that easily captures anything the mic will throw at it. I would move the timing around on the drums to maximize each one's attack time and decay. I don't even think about gates anymore now that it's so easy just to delete the audio you don't want. You could delete a drums tracks selectively if something doesn't sound good doubled or one way or another.

Tape is a great tool that is very difficult to replicate. There's no substitute for the real thing this time.

Re: Reel to Reel [message #67858 is a reply to message #67852] Wed, 25 May 2011 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
How are they making the tape? They couldn't be making dozens of copies of copies of copies could they? Why not use a laser and make a set of instructions that enables a recorder to duplicate it exactly every time?

Re: Reel to Reel [message #67862 is a reply to message #67858] Thu, 26 May 2011 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They go into detail about how they make the tap at the link above. They're not the only ones doing it either, just the most visible. I know a man who buys his tapes from an industry insider that copies them directly from the studio master tape.

Re: Reel to Reel [message #67874 is a reply to message #67851] Thu, 26 May 2011 22:34 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's interesting. I hope it isn't who I'm thinking of that has been widely speculated as being responsible for some missing tapes over the years.

Previous Topic: Oktava MK319
Next Topic: Cassettes to MP3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:02:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout