Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Veneer advice (contd)
Veneer advice (contd) [message #67592] Thu, 12 May 2011 19:58 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
One tantrum, several damage spots and a vow to never round-off a cabinet again later, today's advice is to go ahead and do it but not alone (unless it's one of those little poofter monitors).

.index.php?t=getfile&id=402&private=0

I always use 1/2" dowel rods to separate the veneer from substrate for positioning; it was this step that caused the problems. I thought it would be easier to remove the dowels if positioned longitudinally but I failed to realise that they would roll as the box rolled onto it's side! How dumb is that!

Once I unstuck the unstuckable (which caused the damage you see) and re-positioned the dowels East-West, the Saguaro Guys roll onto the side technique worked stupid easy. No need to push out any lumps or bumps on the roundover save just using the soft pine 2x4 "squeegee" I always do.

Using NBL saves a lot of repair work, first, because the face layer remained mostly intact and, second, an all-wood, matching species 2nd ply means very little filling will be necessary before sanding away all but the memory.

Stay tuned...because no one asked, I'm taking fotos of the entire construction sequence.
Re: Veneer advice (contd) [message #67596 is a reply to message #67592] Thu, 12 May 2011 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, damn, Bill - I feel for you. I really do. I've had a few cabinets do that too.

Once upon a time, long, long ago, we used to make all cabinets with rounded edges. I thought the improvement from reduced edge diffraction would make it worthwhile. It was as great a radius as possible, which made it more likely that the veneer would cooperate. It also would theoretically reduce edge diffraction the most. We did this by using square wood stock in each internal edge, so they could be routed deeply.

Still, the cabinetmakers hated those cursed rounded corners of mine. They pleaded with me to relax that requirement, because sometimes the veneer split. They got pretty good at bending veneers, but it still happened occasionally.

Eventually, the guys at the shop built me two pairs of cabinets exactly alike in all respects except one had roundover and one didn't. We listened to them outdoors, on the porch. Had a group of people listening, and it was unanimous, nobody could hear the difference. So I relented. No more rounded corners from that day on.

I still think it looks cool though. Smile

Re: Veneer advice (contd) [message #67599 is a reply to message #67596] Thu, 12 May 2011 21:48 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It does look cool and since I invested $42 in a 3/4" roundover bit and NBL veneer drapes like cloth, you bet-yer-ass I'm gonna keep doin' it!
Previous Topic: Sealing MDF
Next Topic: Repairing Veneer Damage: On-The-Job-Training
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:35:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout