Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi Home Theater Build
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69686 is a reply to message #69620] Mon, 03 October 2011 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
I spoke the the builder about fixing the front panel and she was not very receptive, she wanted to either refund my money or just build entirely new boxes. Due to the depressed economy over here (average family income is less than $1,000 USD/year) I could not in good conscience have her eat any of the cost. When I meet with her to discuss the build it was clear she had no idea what the boxes were to be used for and did not understand the requirement for accuracy. Looks like a language barrier problem, I NEED to learn Khmer!!!!

I have found a solution:

index.php?t=getfile&id=606&private=0

A member on AVS forum kindly made me two 1/2" thick plywood rings that I will glue/screw over the baffle to eliminate the irregular edges and provide a nice mounting surface for the drivers. Plus, they should make the boxes a little more interesting to look at.

index.php?t=getfile&id=607&private=0

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69687 is a reply to message #69686] Mon, 03 October 2011 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent! Good solution. Might be a pretty cool look, sort of a protruded woofer.

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69805 is a reply to message #69687] Sat, 15 October 2011 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Just received my household goods shipment, including my mostly completed 4 Pi speakers. Good news is they arrived relatively intact, bad news is one of the solder joints connecting the DE250 CD broke free.

index.php?t=getfile&id=613&private=0

Looks like the movers decided to "store" a role of duct tape in the speaker before packing. I do not have a soldering iron so I am out of luck until I can send for one from the States. Sad Hopefully it will be an easy fix, I haven't touched a soldering iron in almost 30 yrs.

I guess it will be a few more weeks before I get to listen to the speakers.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69807 is a reply to message #69805] Sat, 15 October 2011 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I was able to hot glue the terminal back to the crossover for a temporary fix. The two metal parts fit tightly together and the hot glue is holding them in place.

Finished the woofer install and getting ready to give them a listen once I unclutter all the crap from the movers and find my patch cords.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69808 is a reply to message #69807] Sat, 15 October 2011 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, what nuts! Glad you got it cobbled back together but I do hope you can get your hands on an iron soon.

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69820 is a reply to message #69808] Sun, 16 October 2011 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Finally have the speaker's setup and started to break them in by playing a blues CD on repeat all day. Initial impression of the sound is very positive, they are significantly better than the Paradigm 9seMkIII's they are replacing. Here is a picture of them - and the flanking subs - in the room (screen is photoshopped to represent the size of the projected image, I left my screen in the states and am projecting on the blank wall and could not take a good photo showing the image and the speakers).

index.php?t=getfile&id=615&private=0

Right now I am running them with an Adcom GFP-555/GFA-555 combo with an el-cheapo Sony Bluray/SACD player as the source. The combo has way too much power as the volume knob is barely off 0 at normal listening levels. These are very sensitive speakers, easily demonstrated by the fact that the amp continues to play for nearly a minute after it is turned off. Shocked

I was unable to veneer them before my move and one of the speakers suffered very mild water-induced damage Rolling Eyes during the move (glue joint swelling requiring additional sanding to re-smooth the surface). Since I do not have any equipment in Cambodia, and finding that I absolutely hate MDF, I purchased oak vinyl laminate from Parts Express. Seems crazy to finish a thousand dollar speaker in vinyl, but the boxes will be rebuilt with baltic birch upon my retirement from the navy (less than 7 yrs). The enclosures have to survive at least two more military moves before I build new ones.

Based on initial listening the speakers meet my expectations and I expect to be using them for the next 20 years. I kept my paradigms as main speakers for over 15 - I do not make speaker changes often so I try to get the best bang for the buck.

Thanks again Wayne for your awesome support to the DIY community!
  • Attachment: IMG_0529.jpg
    (Size: 84.94KB, Downloaded 8233 times)

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69826 is a reply to message #69820] Mon, 17 October 2011 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They look great. I love the way you have your room setup. It isn't like back home, but it sure looks like it will do the trick. The flanking subs are set just right.

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69829 is a reply to message #69826] Tue, 18 October 2011 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I received the rings to complete the flanking subs from the US today.

index.php?t=getfile&id=616&private=0

Will try to locate glue, black stain and sandpaper this week so I can complete over the weekend.

Almost finished.....

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69836 is a reply to message #69829] Tue, 18 October 2011 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's going to look cool with black stain on the ring. Way to make lemonade! Cool

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69837 is a reply to message #67585] Wed, 19 October 2011 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Psychoacoustic is currently offline  Psychoacoustic
Viscount
You'll love your set up even more for all that effort that's gone into it. Great to see a happy outcome. Yep, they get really loud, really fast so any amp can drive them adequately with ease.
Congrats on your build.
Previous Topic: 4pi: big sound?
Next Topic: Dimensions clarifications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:16:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers