Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi Home Theater Build
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69314 is a reply to message #69286] Sat, 03 September 2011 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
Just ordered two of the 3 Pi subwoofer kits. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am having a local Cambodian furniture maker build two 16" x 16" x 16" boxes from 1" thick plywood for $50.00. I am sure it is not going to be baltic birch at that price, but should be good enough to last the two years I am over here.

Sealed box is 1.5 ft^3 with a Qts of 0.75. Calculated relative -3 dB Point = 42.19 Hz, -6 dB Point = 32.59 Hz and 10 dB Point = 24.93 Hz; should be more than adequate for flanking subs.

index.php?t=getfile&id=585&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=586&private=0

Does the kit come with binding posts?

Thanks Wayne for making the high end affordable!!!

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69317 is a reply to message #69314] Sat, 03 September 2011 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the kit comes with binding posts.

That smaller box should work nicely for flanking subs, even with f3 around 45Hz. Then later, when space permits, you can build the 20"x20"x20" box shown in the plans for 20Hz extension.

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69324 is a reply to message #69317] Sat, 03 September 2011 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks Wayne!

If the boxes don't suck - no quarantee at $25/ea - I am thinking about keeping them as the flanking subs and then add two additional 3 Pi subs in the normal 20" ported design for deeper bass when I return to the States.

This should give me strong bass coverage down to 20 Hz. I am thinking I could then add a Linkwitz Transform circuit to my 24" sealed Maelstrom-X (18") subwoofer for augmentation of the region from 10 Hz to about 20 Hz.

index.php?t=getfile&id=587&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=588&private=0

Five quality subwoofers should be sufficient for my needs.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69330 is a reply to message #69324] Sun, 04 September 2011 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like an excellent plan!

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69513 is a reply to message #69330] Fri, 16 September 2011 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
LAB 12 drivers arrived in excellent condition. Ready to pick up the boxes from the furniture maker next week.

Delivery on my goods from the US has been pushed back - again! Now it looks like an Oct delivery date. The wait is killing me.

Pretty scary flying into Phnom Penh yesterday from a meeting in Manila. We have had very heavy rains and the ENTIRE city is surrounded by miles of water. The city is on the verge of major flooding due to a very heavy monsoon season. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69519 is a reply to message #67585] Sat, 17 September 2011 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smokarz is currently offline  smokarz
Baron
NWC, i used to live in southeast asia (vietnam).

i totally understand the weather over there.

good luck with everything.
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69523 is a reply to message #69519] Sat, 17 September 2011 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad you got the subs. Keeping my fingers crossed on the mains and the rest of the stuff.

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69614 is a reply to message #69519] Mon, 26 September 2011 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Picked up the 16" boxes yesterday. One is pretty much perfect:

index.php?t=getfile&id=601&private=0

However, this one has the hole cut to large:

index.php?t=getfile&id=604&private=0

I can take it back to have it remade, but I would REALLY hate to make her eat the cost as the people here barely make any money.

I think I have three options,

1) Clamp the gasket to the box and fill in all the gaps behind the gasket with a hot glue gun. Would seal the two screw holes that would leak. Not sure how durable of a solution this would be in the long run. However, I am planning on building new boxes when I return to the States.

2) Take the box back and have her replace the front baffle. These seem really well made (except for the cutouts which were made by hand without the use of power tools - no jig saw or router which led to the error in sizing) so I am not sure how easy it would be for her to replace just the baffle. It is a 16" x 16" size, so it could be cut off I suppose.

3) Have her add a new front baffle over the existing one on both boxes. I think 1/2" thick should be sufficient. I think this would be the easist on her end and cost her the least amount of money.

Anyone have other suggestions? Would #1 work?

Thanks for any advice!

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69617 is a reply to message #69523] Mon, 26 September 2011 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 17 September 2011 10:46

Glad you got the subs. Keeping my fingers crossed on the mains and the rest of the stuff.

My stuff is supossed to arrive this week! Shocked

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #69620 is a reply to message #69614] Mon, 26 September 2011 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The sub boxes look nice. Sorry about the misshapen woofer cutout.

NWCgrad wrote on Mon, 26 September 2011 02:41
Take the box back and have her replace the front baffle. These seem really well made (except for the cutouts which were made by hand without the use of power tools - no jig saw or router which led to the error in sizing) so I am not sure how easy it would be for her to replace just the baffle. It is a 16" x 16" size, so it could be cut off I suppose.

That's the route I would take. Wouldn't be hard to do even with the crudest hand tools and it solves the problem without being a potentially troublesome or ugly compromise.

Previous Topic: 4pi: big sound?
Next Topic: Dimensions clarifications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 10:49:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout