Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi Home Theater Build
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68251 is a reply to message #68250] Sat, 18 June 2011 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
Thanks Wayne. The painted baffles - matched with the solid oak trim pieces - look really good once dried. Nice smooth texture and the H290 horn really blends in. I am getting excited to install the drivers and crossover, probably next weekend!

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68284 is a reply to message #68251] Tue, 21 June 2011 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Just got word today, the speakers will be boxed for my move on Monday. Will just have enough time to veneer them on Sat with 24-48 hours to dry before packing. The painted front/rear baffles will have "cured" for a little over 7 days - the brochure indicated 14 - 28 days before attempting to clean with cleaning materials.

I am going to box them myself - but not seal the box so that the mover is responsible for damages. I found boxes of the appropriate size on uHauls website (see attachment).

index.php?t=getfile&id=518&private=0

As of now, my plan is to enclose the box in all three dimensions with rigid foam insulation (2" thick) and wrap the speakers initially with Mover's Stretch Plastic Wrap (also from uHaul) and then bubble wrap. The three layers of protection plus heavy taping of the outside of the box to secure joints should offer pretty good protection. The boxes must fit into a large shipping crate - along with 2500 pounds of household goods (and electronics) - that will be sealed for transport.

Would adding a ½" thick plywood to the bottom of the box add anything or is it just a waste of material? I will ensure that the speakers do not have room to move inside of the boxes.

Thanks for any feedback on my packing scheme, I am open to suggestions.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68285 is a reply to message #68284] Tue, 21 June 2011 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's hard to say what they'll encounter. I've had some packages arrive undamaged, and very little packaging would have probably been needed. Then I've had some packages hit on the side so hard with what appeared to be a dagger or rod of some sort - went right through and damaged the contents beyond repair. I've seen some tube amps that were packaged with several inches of foam in place surrounding them - dropped so hard that internal bracing shifted under the impact load. No scratches on the outside because of the foam, but it was obvious that the box had been dropped a great distance.

Can you palletize the boxes? In my experience, this seems the most reliable. Maybe it's because they can easily manuver the package with a forklift, I don't know. But I've had consistently good results with palletized packages.

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68286 is a reply to message #68285] Tue, 21 June 2011 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blvdre is currently offline  blvdre
Baron
Palletizing would be a good idea, if affordable. Wayne, the dagger you mention was probably from a fork lift. I've seen that type of damage before. Also, UPS has some of its conveyors up high, and sometimes packages take a dive.

I work for a medical test equipment manufacturer in the service department, and I'm amazed at how poorly packed some of our instruments are when they come back from the customer. Some instruments cost up to $70k. More often that not, though, they get lucky and the instruments are received without any damage.
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68304 is a reply to message #68286] Wed, 22 June 2011 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I cannot palletize because my entire shipment of 2500 lbs must fit into a shipping crate. I don't know the size of the crate, but all my stuff must fit in it along with the speakers.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68308 is a reply to message #68304] Wed, 22 June 2011 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blvdre is currently offline  blvdre
Baron
I need to read more carefully. Shocked Yes, as long as everything's in a well packed large crate, the boxes, plastic, and bubble wrap should do the trick.
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68350 is a reply to message #68308] Sun, 26 June 2011 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Lost most of my last weekend to finish the speakers ill. Mad Today I managed some progress:

First, covered the H290 horns with Dynamat I had leftover from a car stereo install:

index.php?t=getfile&id=525&private=0

Added hanger bolts to bottom of cabinets for the crossover and 100W resister:

index.php?t=getfile&id=526&private=0

Cut rubber (1/16" thick) as gasket, pushed over the hanger bolts:

index.php?t=getfile&id=527&private=0

Bolted on crossover and 100W resister:

index.php?t=getfile&id=528&private=0

• Attachment: 1-50.jpg
    (Size: 152.14KB, Downloaded 10051 times)
  • Attachment: 2-50.jpg
    (Size: 114.75KB, Downloaded 9278 times)
  • Attachment: 3-50.jpg
    (Size: 128.05KB, Downloaded 9316 times)
  • Attachment: 4-50.jpg
    (Size: 178.72KB, Downloaded 9338 times)

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68351 is a reply to message #68350] Sun, 26 June 2011 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Final pictures before the speakers are packed and shipped to Phnom Penh. I did not get the veneer put on due to illness on Sat, will send the raw veneer with the speakers and install once they arrive. Will also ship the R13 insulation that I bought today.

Installed the H290 (w/ 2 layers of rubber gasket) using pocket screws. They project out a little further than I would like - but should be okay.

index.php?t=getfile&id=529&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=530&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=531&private=0

Overall, this has been a great build - my first outside of a sealed subwoofer.

Thanks Wayne for making your plans available and freely sharing your expertise.
  • Attachment: 5-50.jpg
    (Size: 109.43KB, Downloaded 9253 times)
  • Attachment: 6-50.jpg
    (Size: 152.04KB, Downloaded 9300 times)
  • Attachment: 7-50.jpg
    (Size: 188.84KB, Downloaded 9481 times)

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68352 is a reply to message #68351] Sun, 26 June 2011 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks great!

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68374 is a reply to message #68352] Tue, 28 June 2011 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Thanks, this is my first speaker build. I built a sealed subwoofer two years ago, but this was more challenging due to multiple boxes.

Did not get the speakers packaged as well as I would have liked as I was ill. Ended up having the movers wrap the speakers in the R13 insulation (I bought Johns Manville 384"L x 15"W x 3.5"D R-13 Formaldahyde-Free Fiberglass Insulation Roll from Lowes) and then multiple layers of the moving paper. I watched them load into the shipping crate, where they formed the bottom rear level. Probably as good as one could expect.

I wish I had taken a photo of the mover carrying the JBL woofers stacked, on his back. Shocked I was ready to hear them crash to the ground at any time! Thankfully, they were not dropped and were loaded on top the speakers.

The crate was completely filled, with extra boxes stuffed into empty spaces so there should be minimal movement during shipping. The crates will be caulked and sealed with steel bands prior to loading on the ship.

I am hopeful they arrive in good condition. I will have to wait until August (possible September depending on the wait at customs) to install the woofers and give them a listen. The continued wait sucks!!!

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Previous Topic: 4pi: big sound?
Next Topic: Dimensions clarifications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:52:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers