Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi Home Theater Build
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #67968 is a reply to message #67967] Tue, 31 May 2011 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
Gratuitous photos of the goods delivered from Tulsa! Wayne has great customer service, the parts came in several days earlier than he projected.

index.php?t=getfile&id=456&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=457&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=458&private=0

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #67971 is a reply to message #67968] Tue, 31 May 2011 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad they're coming along nicely and sorry about the horn dimensions. I've had to do that on a few horns too. It's very frustrating, because some slip right in, and others don't. Most that don't fit are just a smidge too large but it's still annoying.

I think the biggest problem though, isn't the slight variance between parts. It's the fact that the dimensions published by Eminence are way off. Eminence says hole cutout should be 10.3" x 4.9", but that's way bigger than needed and leaves a frustratingly narrow mounting lip. So our plans show 9.5" x 4.75", which gives a much better fit.

Likewise, Eminence says the overall dimensions are 11.4" x 6.5" but the dimensions are more like 11.625" x 6.5" to 11.7" x 6.6". Those dimensions will work 99% of the time, but occasionally, they'll send out a horn with a lip even larger than that.

The last pair of speakers I built that gave me this trouble had a very expensive veneer that I didn't want to risk damaging so I shaved the edge of the horn down to fit. It was actually a very easy fix, and I think is my preferred method of dealing with the occasional oversized part.

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build - Primer and Paint Questions [message #67980 is a reply to message #67971] Wed, 01 June 2011 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
No worries on the fit of the waveguide, I had previously read your comments on the forum that they sometimes do not fit.

I will be coating the enclosures this weekend with bondo followed by sanding (and repeating as required). The cabinets front and rear baffles (plus interior) will be primed (Zinsser BIN shellac-based) and painted as close to gun metal gray as I can get. The sides will be veneered with oak (glued with contact cement per the advice of Bill Epstein) and finished w/ stain. I assume sides/top/bottom do not need to be primed. I am not sure whether contact cement adheres well to primer??????

The entire enclosure will be given multiple thin coats of polyurethane - inside and out - for a humidity barrier.

Can anyone advise on paint?

I am thinking 100% acrylic latex enamel for durability. Will apply with the typical foam cigar paint roller. I read the technical sheet for the Zinsser primer (shellac-based) and could not tell if the topcoat should be water- or oil-based. The only advantage I can think of for water-based is that it allows the polyurethane coat to be water-based, which apparently cures faster than oil-based polyurethane. Since these will be crated up late June/early July for transport to the SE Asia drying time may be a factor.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build - Primer and Paint Questions [message #68000 is a reply to message #67980] Thu, 02 June 2011 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Can anyone advise on paint?

Water or oil based is the primary question. Will have less than 30 days after putting on finish to ship to Cambodia (probably by air, missed the finishing window for sea transport).

Thanks,

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build - Primer and Paint Questions [message #68003 is a reply to message #68000] Thu, 02 June 2011 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This is not my specialty, which is why I didn't reply right away.

The one product I have a lot of experience with is Duratex. It can be put on the raw wood and it will seal and finish coat it in one step. It's very durable and so if that's what you're after, it's probably your best bet. All the prosound speakers use it.

You can also use the "Truck Bed Liner" product sold at Wal-Mart stores. It is as durable as Duratex. Easy to apply with a roller. They also have an aerosol produce available, but the coverage isn't nearly as good.

On the other hand, I understand some people use primer and finish coats like what is done to paint cars. That is probably a more attractive finish, and can be done in any color.

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build - Primer and Paint Questions [message #68033 is a reply to message #68003] Fri, 03 June 2011 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks for the response, I was leaning towards duratex but have decided to go with a 100% acrylic latex over Zinsser shellac-based BIN parimer. Supposedly, the 100% acrylic provides good moisture protection (for a paint).

Hopefully I will get all three boxes sanded, bondoed, and primed this weekend. The shipment date is set for 27 JUN, so time is rapidly running out.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68076 is a reply to message #67585] Mon, 06 June 2011 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Not much progress this weekend, spent time on yardwork instead.

Did complete the bracing, added two crossbraces instead of the one called for in the plan and the three I planned. Braces are (1) 2.5" x .75" and (2) 1.5" x .75" [actual].

index.php?t=getfile&id=467&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=468&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=470&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=469&private=0

I did get the Zinsser BIN Shellac-based primer tinted grey and purchased a quart of Onynx Black BEHR Premium Plus 1 qt. Satin Deep-Base Enamel Exterior Paint (100% acrylic). I chose this paint based on the fact that it is 100% cured in 2 weeks. There may be better choices out there, but this should suffice.
  • Attachment: 001 - 50.jpg
    (Size: 186.71KB, Downloaded 8804 times)
  • Attachment: 002 - 50.jpg
    (Size: 184.33KB, Downloaded 8755 times)
  • Attachment: 004 - 50.jpg
    (Size: 175.38KB, Downloaded 8737 times)
  • Attachment: 005 - 50.jpg
    (Size: 183.06KB, Downloaded 8842 times)

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68167 is a reply to message #68076] Mon, 13 June 2011 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
First project of the weekend was to bondo/sand the seams, inside of the port, and round the corners of the horn inset:

index.php?t=getfile&id=488&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=491&private=0

Second project was to prime (Zinseer BIN shellac) the back of the port and inside face of the cabinet BEFORE adding the rear baffle (would be difficult to get to back of the port after adding the back panel - I put 3 coats on the port):

index.php?t=getfile&id=489&private=0

Final, added oak trim and rear baffle (with cutout for binding post plate):

index.php?t=getfile&id=492&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=494&private=0

The 45 degree corners of the trim are not a perfect joint, will fill them in with wood glue mixed with oak dust. Overall, fairly good progress.

• Attachment: 001-50.jpg
    (Size: 164.80KB, Downloaded 8513 times)
  • Attachment: 009-50.jpg
    (Size: 144.60KB, Downloaded 8443 times)
  • Attachment: 007-cropped.jpg
    (Size: 84.05KB, Downloaded 8396 times)
  • Attachment: 007-50.jpg
    (Size: 151.15KB, Downloaded 8417 times)
  • Attachment: 015-50.jpg
    (Size: 173.65KB, Downloaded 8454 times)

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68168 is a reply to message #67585] Mon, 13 June 2011 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lookin' good! Getting closer!

Re: 4 Pi Home Theater Build [message #68169 is a reply to message #68168] Mon, 13 June 2011 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Thanks, I really want to say screw the finish and add the drivers/crossover and let 'em rip. But...

Next weekend I plan to (1) fill gaps in the 45 degree joints of the front trim (oak dust + wood glue) and bring the trim even with top/front with router, (2) prime the remainder of the interior/front baffle/rear baffle of cabinets with Zinsser BIN shellac primer (have two quarts, one in white and the other tinted gray) - will put on two coats, and (3) glue (contact cement - Better Bond Titan DX from Joe Woodworker) the red oak veneer on top/sides/bottom of the cabinets.

Due to lack of time for finishes to "cure" before being packed for shipment to my new digs in Cambodia (still cannot believe my family and I are moving to Phnom Penh). I will paint the front/rear baffles and stain the oak veneer in Cambodia - I assume I can find finishing materials in country. After next weekend it is only ~7 days to the target packout date of 27 JUN - they will travel by sea instead of air due to size/weight.

Any suggestions on how to package the boxes for shipment?

I am planning on leaving the JBL woofers in their original packing and make custom foam packing for the DE250 drivers using parts of two large sheets of TUFF-R R-12.2 1-7/8 in. thick Foam Insulation. I plan on adding a piece to the JBL box - with a cutout for the magnet assembly to fit into for additional crush protection. The horns and crossovers will be installed in the cabinet.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Previous Topic: 4pi: big sound?
Next Topic: Dimensions clarifications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:18:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers