Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Mixing Music While Sick
Mixing Music While Sick [message #67360] Mon, 02 May 2011 10:10 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have a head cold and it's affecting how I hear. I started wondering about recording engineers--how can they properly mix music when they are sick?
Re: Mixing Music While Sick [message #67362 is a reply to message #67360] Mon, 02 May 2011 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Chain-smoking pretty much prevents colds, flu's, and bacterial infections from being able to take root and make people sick.

Re: Mixing Music While Sick [message #67363 is a reply to message #67362] Mon, 02 May 2011 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

http://audioroundtable.com/images/Laughing_Felix.gif
Re: Mixing Music While Sick [message #67455 is a reply to message #67360] Thu, 05 May 2011 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
FYI, Europeans started smoking (as legend has it) to prevent colds. People were stunned that smoking "cured" active colds. This is because all the extra mucous (sorry, it's gross, I know) traps viruses that depend on a host to survive. Similarly it has been known that atom-sized radioactive particles are known to get stuck in extra fluids smoking produces, as well.

YOU AGREE IF YOU READ FURTHER, YOU MUST READ THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THIS POST:

Anyway, sorry about that other post. I have time now to answer the question seriously.

Before I begin the post, this is general advice from a sound engineer and in no way constitutes medical advice. Go to a doctor if you want professional advice that relates to your health. I can only provide anecdotes on what worked for me.

To answer the question, According to a pamphlet I picked up from Costco this morning, you likely have an ear infection caused by one or both Eustachian tubes (a tunnel that goes from the mouth/nasal passages to the inner ears) being blocked which gets infected if there is no airflow allowed.

Symptoms of an ear infection (it says here) occur 2-7 days after a cold.

Symptoms include:

*thick Yellow liquid that is not ear wax. (if it contains blood, you may have a burst/ruptured ear drum)
*difficulty sleeping
*ear pain
*fever
*partial hearing loss

It says: Sometimes fluid build up in the middle ear doesn't cause symptoms. This is called "glue ear" and it frequently follows an infection, or without one. Sometimes there are no symptoms, but some people experience ringing in their ears, popping, stuffiness, fullness, or pressure in the ear.

I have drained my ear fluid in the past by putting peroxide in my ear (DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE SURE) holding my nose and sucking very hard through my nose to draw the fluid through the porous membrane that protects the inner ear. I use saline these days, because I am not sure if hydrogen peroxide is such a good idea myself. It seems to make my ears ring for a little while afterwards. If you do it with saline (or any other liquid), you should sit down while doing it, because you will get vertigo (dizziness/drunk physics) for about 60 seconds after you fill the middle or inner ear with fluid. Just hold your nose and pop your ears and the fluid should start leaking out. When you feel your nasal passages start to break up, you did it right.

I think salt is supposed to kill germs and infections and, i'm not sure, but should relieve pain.

sorry about the caps, but

BOTTOM LINE:
GO SEE A DOCTOR. A COLD SHOULD NOT AFFECT YOUR HEARING! FLUIDS BUILDING UP AND INFECTING HEALTHY TISSUE MAY CAUSE HEARING LOSS.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS IF YOU DO ANYTHING I WROTE. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS. MY METHODS FOR WHAT i DO TO MY EARS IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

Just making sure everyone is safe, sorry about the caps and the warnings Smile

Re: Mixing Music While Sick [message #67567 is a reply to message #67360] Wed, 11 May 2011 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Years of experience, and visual indicators aka lot's of vu/led meters on everything. That and 2 shots of your favorite Brandy. After a song or two you'll say forget it, then go get some rest, so you can start feeling better.
Re: Mixing Music While Sick [message #67729 is a reply to message #67455] Thu, 19 May 2011 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
Adveser wrote on Thu, 05 May 2011 19:36
FYI, Europeans started smoking (as legend has it) to prevent colds. People were stunned that smoking "cured" active colds. This is because all the extra mucous (sorry, it's gross, I know) traps viruses that depend on a host to survive. Similarly it has been known that atom-sized radioactive particles are known to get stuck in extra fluids smoking produces, as well.

YOU AGREE IF YOU READ FURTHER, YOU MUST READ THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THIS POST:

Anyway, sorry about that other post. I have time now to answer the question seriously.

Before I begin the post, this is general advice from a sound engineer and in no way constitutes medical advice. Go to a doctor if you want professional advice that relates to your health. I can only provide anecdotes on what worked for me.

To answer the question, According to a pamphlet I picked up from Costco this morning, you likely have an ear infection caused by one or both Eustachian tubes (a tunnel that goes from the mouth/nasal passages to the inner ears) being blocked which gets infected if there is no airflow allowed.

Symptoms of an ear infection (it says here) occur 2-7 days after a cold.

Symptoms include:

*thick Yellow liquid that is not ear wax. (if it contains blood, you may have a burst/ruptured ear drum)
*difficulty sleeping
*ear pain
*fever
*partial hearing loss

It says: Sometimes fluid build up in the middle ear doesn't cause symptoms. This is called "glue ear" and it frequently follows an infection, or without one. Sometimes there are no symptoms, but some people experience ringing in their ears, popping, stuffiness, fullness, or pressure in the ear.

I have drained my ear fluid in the past by putting peroxide in my ear (DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE SURE) holding my nose and sucking very hard through my nose to draw the fluid through the porous membrane that protects the inner ear. I use saline these days, because I am not sure if hydrogen peroxide is such a good idea myself. It seems to make my ears ring for a little while afterwards. If you do it with saline (or any other liquid), you should sit down while doing it, because you will get vertigo (dizziness/drunk physics) for about 60 seconds after you fill the middle or inner ear with fluid. Just hold your nose and pop your ears and the fluid should start leaking out. When you feel your nasal passages start to break up, you did it right.

I think salt is supposed to kill germs and infections and, i'm not sure, but should relieve pain.

sorry about the caps, but

BOTTOM LINE:
GO SEE A DOCTOR. A COLD SHOULD NOT AFFECT YOUR HEARING! FLUIDS BUILDING UP AND INFECTING HEALTHY TISSUE MAY CAUSE HEARING LOSS.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS IF YOU DO ANYTHING I WROTE. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS. MY METHODS FOR WHAT i DO TO MY EARS IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

Just making sure everyone is safe, sorry about the caps and the warnings Smile

I love home remedies, and thanks for actually taking the time to break it all down! Most of it makes perfect sense, actually. I will have to try doing the saline thing when my ears are clogged. It could save a trip to the doctor!
Re: Mixing Music While Sick [message #67730 is a reply to message #67729] Thu, 19 May 2011 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drury is currently offline  Drury
Baron
I can't add anything to the original question but I must post and say PLEASE do not mess around with your ears, it's extremely dangerous. If you are sick, see a doctor. End of advice.
Re: Mixing Music While Sick [message #67802 is a reply to message #67360] Mon, 23 May 2011 09:07 Go to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I forgot to post back on here, but I did end up going to the doctor and got some antibiotics. The peroxide/saline option freaked me out, to be honest. Razz

Still, thanks for the laugh and the answers!
Previous Topic: Church Amplifier
Next Topic: No Pop Filter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:57:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout