Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » What a difference a capacitor change can make!
What a difference a capacitor change can make! [message #8843] Sat, 05 March 2005 12:03 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I just changed capacitors in my vintage H.H.Scott LK-48-B integrated amp. I replaced the old Ceracap coupling caps with just plain ole Orange Drops. Total cost for parts was about $20. The difference was almost shocking. I've complained about a "hashy" sound and had blamed the horns in my Klipsch Heresys for some time now. However, after changing the caps in the amp, I no longer hear any of the hashy sound. I'd have never suspected that changing out the old ceramic caps to an inexpensive cap like Orange Drops would make such a difference.
A couple of months back I'd bypassed the tone control circuit, which made a noticable difference, but nothing like the cap change brought on. It now sounds like I upgraded a couple of levels with a new amp.
I'm going to be busy listening a lot for a few days now...

Dave

Re: What a difference a capacitor change can make! [message #8844 is a reply to message #8843] Sun, 06 March 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
Hi Hurdy,

You are right on Hurdy. Different capacitors really do sound different. Glad to hear about your tweeks. Keep up the good work.
Resistors also change the sound, but I am not sure if the sound changes as much as with capacitors.

Take care.
Steve

Re: What a difference a capacitor change can make! [message #8845 is a reply to message #8844] Sun, 06 March 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Ever notice Steve Bench's observations about capacitors?

Re: What a difference a capacitor change can make! [message #8846 is a reply to message #8845] Mon, 07 March 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yes, I have read the article.
The findings could depend on the terminations and materials (wire etc.) used.
He doesn't mention the brands tested. Different brands sound different.
He also used just one frequency for testing.
In general, I am not particularly impressed with the article.
I think one should do listening tests to determine which type sounds closest to a straight wire.

Take care.
Steve

Re: What a difference a capacitor change can make! [message #8847 is a reply to message #8846] Mon, 07 March 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

At least it quantifies the effects and illustrates them with actual measured data.

Re: What a difference a capacitor change can make! [message #8851 is a reply to message #8847] Tue, 08 March 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Dear Wayne,

Yes it does, which is rare. Another article worth reading is "picking capacitors" by Walter Jung. Pretty interesting, but doesn't cover oil caps.
I have another article, somewhere around in print form, about dielectric materials, a chemist's viewpoint, but doesn't do any actual measurements. Might be able to find it on the net.

Take care and great week.
Steve

no Kidding! [message #8852 is a reply to message #8847] Tue, 08 March 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
not that I am sure the correct quantities can be measured to predict the "sound" of an item...

Since amps which measure in a way which can only be described using the word, "crappy" seem to be both highly regarded and pleasing to the ear, I assume that the wrong stuff is being measured.

More testing, and some large group linstening panel might be able to gather some of the measured quantities with the sonic impressions. That would be nice to have.
regards,
Douglas

Re: no Kidding! [message #8856 is a reply to message #8852] Thu, 10 March 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Absolutely.

Trouble with the listening panel is, the cap will always be evaluated in a circuit in concert with a bunch of other parts, which in turn is in a system with a bunch of other components, which in turn is in a room . . . . .

I'd still like to see it happen, but you have to keep the context in mind. We can't expect to draw universally applicable conclusions from the lab coat boys or the subjective descriptions of the pipe-smoking auditioners . . . (I always loved the artwork at the top of Herb Reichert's Sound Practices column.)

I guess the message is: context and perspective are key. But you knew that already . . . .

Re: What a difference a capacitor change can make! [message #8858 is a reply to message #8851] Thu, 10 March 2005 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's the link.

http://www.capacitors.com/picking_capacitors/pickcap.htm

Dave

Re: What a difference a capacitor change can make! [message #8859 is a reply to message #8858] Thu, 10 March 2005 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Great link, thanks!

Previous Topic: Can a 5687 tube be substituted for a 7044 tube?
Next Topic: SE for beginners
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:17:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout