Home » Audio » Source » How To Make An iPod Sound Like a $1.5K CD Player (The Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Media Transport)
How To Make An iPod Sound Like a $1.5K CD Player [message #67276] Thu, 28 April 2011 13:34 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I just received my new Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Media Transport. "Digital Media Transport" is a pretentious name for iPod dock, but that's what they call it, and it's sound merits a pretentious name. The ND-S1 is an iPod dock with no analog outputs - it outputs only the iPod's raw digital signal via a coaxial, optical, or USB cable, to your own DAC.

I assume most users would use the DAC in their HT receiver, but I'm using the digital input on my Cambridge Audio 840 CD player, which has a very good DAC section. I can synchronize a CD with my iPod and do an A/B comparison of the two, and the signal from the ND-S1 is every bit as good as the sound of the actual CD I ripped into Itunes. Of course you have to rip your CD to Apple Lossless or some other like-quality file and not to a lossy format like MP3.

The good news is the ND-S1 is only $165 versus $370 for the only other iPod dock that accesses the digital signal, the Wadia. According to some reviews by knowledgable technowoks the Onkyo is a much better design. The bad news is the Onkyo isn't sold in the US - you have to buy it on Ebay from a Japanese exporter and pay $38 air freight, but that's not exactly an arm and a leg in high end audio.

index.php?t=getfile&id=373&private=0
  • Attachment: 002.JPG
    (Size: 400.02KB, Downloaded 2484 times)
Re: How To Make An iPod Sound Like a $1.5K CD Player [message #67279 is a reply to message #67276] Thu, 28 April 2011 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Onkyo also makes stereo PCI sound cards that sound like what you describe. The make one that's about 90 bucks that I would only use for pure digital transport, and a 300 dollar model that I would use for analogue output. It has swapable op-amp support.

Re: How To Make An iPod Sound Like a $1.5K CD Player [message #67280 is a reply to message #67276] Thu, 28 April 2011 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's a link to some technical info about the Onkyo:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/157594-inside-onkyo-nd-s1-ipod-transport.html
Re: How To Make An iPod Sound Like a $1.5K CD Player [message #67339 is a reply to message #67276] Sun, 01 May 2011 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicJunkie is currently offline  MusicJunkie
Chancellor
It looks like you have a great setup there! $38 is not really all that much for shipping considering it is coming from Japan. I don't have a dock anymore as I connect via bluetooth to my stereo system. It works nice when I want to change songs on the fly.
Re: How To Make An iPod Sound Like a $1.5K CD Player [message #67370 is a reply to message #67276] Mon, 02 May 2011 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iDummy is currently offline  iDummy
Baron
It goes to show you how little knowledge I had about this. I am glad you guys share your knowledge. I am checking this things out because I really want better sound from my iPod.
Re: How To Make An iPod Sound Like a $1.5K CD Player [message #67373 is a reply to message #67370] Mon, 02 May 2011 17:22 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
iDummy wrote on Mon, 02 May 2011 17:13
It goes to show you how little knowledge I had about this. I am glad you guys share your knowledge. I am checking this things out because I really want better sound from my iPod.

Keep in mind, to use this thing you need a separate DAC or a receiver with a built in DAC, which almost all HT receivers have today. There is no analog output, so you can't connect it to the analog inputs of a receiver or amplifier.
Previous Topic: Yamaha YP-B4 trouble with start/cut mechanism
Next Topic: Analog vs Digital
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:28:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout