Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Sealing MDF
Sealing MDF [message #67275] Thu, 28 April 2011 12:14 Go to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
I am in the process of constructing three 4 Pi speakers out of 3/4" MDF (with a 1 1/2" front baffle - depth adjusted to account for internal volume decrease).

I am moving soon to a very HOT and HUMID environment (Cambodia) and understand that MDF is moisture sensitive. Therefore, I plan to seal the enclosures inside and out with two or three coats of Zinsser BIN primer/sealer to help with moisture resistance and to harden the enclosure. I will be covering with paper-backed red oak veneer via the hot iron method.

Will the BIN primer/sealer cause any problems with applying the veneer? I will be using Better Bond Heat-Lock Veneer glue.

Thanks,

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: Sealing MDF [message #67284 is a reply to message #67275] Thu, 28 April 2011 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If using MDF as described I'd apply veneer inside and out with contact adhesive which is one of the few water-proof glues.

OTOH, given a choice in Cambodia (!), I wouldn't touch MDF and go straight to Marine Plywood made with water-resistant adhesive.

Are we talking the Cambodia formerly ruled by Pol Pot and currently at war with Thailand? We Americans are really zenophobic and this one is having a hard time picturing a high-end sound system there.
Re: Sealing MDF [message #67285 is a reply to message #67284] Thu, 28 April 2011 22:06 Go to previous message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
Yep, that Cambodia! I will be there for two years. Not sure about my housing - but I am fairly hopeful it will be air conditioned.

Already have the MDF all cut ready to glue (will use Titebond II). I am hoping that by using a shellac-based sealer/primer both inside and out of the cabinet the MDF will be adequately protected from moisture.

I have no experience with veneer and the hot iron method seems to be the easiest. However, I could paint as I would not be going for a piano gloss finish.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Previous Topic: Veneer advice
Next Topic: Veneer advice (contd)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:53:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers