Home » Sponsored » OddWatt Audio » Forewatt As A First DIY Tube Project
Forewatt As A First DIY Tube Project [message #67271] Thu, 28 April 2011 11:15 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Waves of nostalgia swept over me as I read about the Forewatt line stage preamp. My first tube component was a Bottlehead Foreplay tube preamp kit, which I used with an NAD solid state integrated amp. The NAD had pre-out and amp-in RCA's so I could substitute the tube pre for the one in the integrated. The preamp section of many inexpensive solid state integrated amps is often a weak link in the signal path, and substituting a tube preamp can significantly improve the sound, as mine did with the NAD.

I'm especially glad to see you included a sub out on both the Forewatt preamp and the Podwatt integrated. So many high efficiency speakers, like the AudioKarma EconoWaves I'll be demonstrating at the LSAF, are compromised the the bass region, and using a sub can be a big plus.

I was impressed by the sound of the Oddwatt monoblocks with my Art Array line array speakers at a DIY meeting in Round Rock Texas a couple of years ago, and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing all your current products at the LSAF. Welcome to AudioRoundTable!
Re: Forewatt As A First DIY Tube Project [message #67273 is a reply to message #67271] Thu, 28 April 2011 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Fred, Good to hear from you. I enjoyed the Austin event. It is part of what inspired me to go to the LASF. A bit of a distance from here, but it should be fun. There have been a number of improvements to the equipment since you last heard them. The units I brought to Austin we all first generation prototypes. Most are now in the second series of production kits. BTW, the original prototypes have been continuously updated to the electrical specs and will (if I can get them in the vehicle) be with me at LASF. This time there are vinyl and digital sources (Pro-ject and OPPO 83SE). If the opportunity occurs it would be interesting to see how some of the equipment plays on your speakers. As I recall they were rather efficient and a Poddwatt might make a good showing on them. Smile

Seeing the title of the thread, yes the Forewatt is a really good first project. Not too complex and delivers a lot of bang, for the $$. You can build it in several "quality" levels. The top most ones are really sweet. For those out there who might want to do that please see the posting on the diyaudioprojects.com site. The plans for the 1.5 version are there. I'll be glad to answer questions on either site. Kits are available as well.... see the Oddwattaudio.com site or email sales@oddwattaudio.com for information.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Forewatt As A First DIY Tube Project [message #67291 is a reply to message #67273] Fri, 29 April 2011 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Thu, 28 April 2011 11:30

...If the opportunity occurs it would be interesting to see how some of the equipment plays on your speakers. As I recall they were rather efficient and a Poddwatt might make a good showing on them.

I was thinking the same. I'll be using a 525w/ch D-Sonic class D ICEpower amp, and it would be interesting to hear how a simple tube preamp like the Forewatt compliments this class D amp. I would expect to hear some good synergy when the warmth of tubes is combined with clear and precise, but somewhat analytical sound of a powerful class D switching amp.

The EconoWave speakers are 95dB sensitivity, eight ohms, with a simple 2nd order crossover. I've tried them with a 2A3 amp and a 300B. The 2A3 was adequate for all but the most dynamic music, and the eight watt 300B drove them to very satisfying room-filling levels with any music. I would enjoy hearing them with the Poddwatt, and I expect many visitors to the show would be interested in hearing that combination too, so lets be sure to make that happen. Very Happy
Re: Forewatt As A First DIY Tube Project [message #67448 is a reply to message #67291] Thu, 05 May 2011 16:03 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Fred, We can certainly make it happen. I'll also have a spare set of Oddblocks with EL34s in them to try. Same for anyone else that wants to try Oddwatt stuff on their systems. Just let me know and we will see if we can get it together.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Welcome!
Next Topic: Poddwatt with EconoWave Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 01:26:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers