Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » How many speakers is necessary?
How many speakers is necessary? [message #67136] Wed, 20 April 2011 13:47 Go to next message
tiktokontheclock is currently offline  tiktokontheclock
Chancellor
My brother in law has a gigantic home theater, with two big speakers in the front. There are also a whole bunch of speakers around the room, but they are smaller. It sounds great. Now my father has a similar setup, but he only has 2 speakers, and one in the back, and I don't notice a sound difference. Is it really necessary to have so many speakers?
Re: How many speakers is necessary? [message #67152 is a reply to message #67136] Wed, 20 April 2011 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Given the right specs, physical size and room size a stereo set of speakers can do anything 5.1 can do. You'd have to have a perfect situation where a sound effect works flawlessly to have this disposition though. When you hear cymbals crashing from slightly behind you to the left, as intended by the mixer, then you'll believe it. You can phase speakers to emulate sound coming from any direction 360 degrees around you. You can't do more than what our limitations, 2 input sources, can handle. More speakers just means you don't have to use giant speakers and a room that's the right size for them.

Re: How many speakers is necessary? [message #67366 is a reply to message #67152] Mon, 02 May 2011 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tiktokontheclock is currently offline  tiktokontheclock
Chancellor
Thanks for the answer. So basically, I should really think about the size of the room, and the choice is between having a small number of large speakers, or a high number of little ones?

What do you believe is ideal in that case?
Re: How many speakers is necessary? [message #67410 is a reply to message #67136] Wed, 04 May 2011 06:59 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Basically, if you can't control the acoustics of the room to make big tower speakers work, you should stick to more small speakers with the subwoofer emulating the lows.

Previous Topic: An easy way to soundproof?
Next Topic: Recording room for voice overs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:31:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout