Home » xyzzy » Tower » Has anyone else just given up on TV (Good programming seems to be scarce)
Has anyone else just given up on TV [message #67122] Tue, 19 April 2011 20:05 Go to next message
Wuzajock is currently offline  Wuzajock
Chancellor
Am I the only one who just gave up on watching TV? After growing up in the Beaver Cleaver era and watching wholesome and genuinely funny shows, I've lost hope on todays programs. Drama drama drama and disrespect seem to reign. I came to the point where I decided that it wasn't worth paying the cable bill. LOL Anyone else at that point?
Re: Has anyone else just given up on TV [message #67127 is a reply to message #67122] Tue, 19 April 2011 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know what you mean - there is a lot of junk on TV. I especially hate the "reality" shows. Absolutely stupid, if you asked me. I think that "COPS" series is what started it all. What a waste! The only things worse are the Jerry Springer type shows and the Judge Judy's and what not.

But on the other hand, I have really enjoyed some series that have come out in the last few years. The Smallville series, The Office, Mad Men and a handful of others have become new favorites of mine. I just started watching Better off Ted and it's hilarious. Sort of like the Office, but maybe a little more edgy. It was cancelled last year, but it's out on Netflix.

Re: Has anyone else just given up on TV [message #67141 is a reply to message #67127] Wed, 20 April 2011 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RadioDinosaur is currently offline  RadioDinosaur
Chancellor
That's mostly true. Mainstream TV is rotten mostly. There are still very good movie channels & stuff like Discovery, nature shows etc. But, yes it is quite different than just a couple of decades ago for certain.
Re: Has anyone else just given up on TV [message #67197 is a reply to message #67122] Sun, 24 April 2011 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Wuzajock wrote on Tue, 19 April 2011 20:05
Am I the only one who just gave up on watching TV?...........Anyone else at that point?

You're not the only one. I said goodbye to mine around 16 years ago, and haven't had one in the house since. Definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Thermionic Smile
icon13.gif  Re: Has anyone else just given up on TV [message #67251 is a reply to message #67197] Wed, 27 April 2011 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, What's a TV? Confused Sorry I couldn't resist. We own one and it gets some use. News, weather and an occasional show off of one of the channels (science, discovery, natgeo etc). I does get some use with DVDs, but not much else. I used to share my listening room with it. Now they are separate.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Has anyone else just given up on TV [message #67254 is a reply to message #67122] Wed, 27 April 2011 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicJunkie is currently offline  MusicJunkie
Chancellor
I have given up on most of it and I definitely agree with the reality show sentiment. Reality my foot. I watch Jeopardy and a few shows on National Geographic, History and Discovery.
Re: Has anyone else just given up on TV [message #67379 is a reply to message #67122] Tue, 03 May 2011 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roxie is currently offline  Roxie
Baron
I am on the other side of the spectrum. We love TV. You are right, there is a lot of garbage on it, but here and there you would find a gem. Ever since we got Netflix, we are even happier because we don't have to watch the commercials, and we get to watch all the oldies. They have just added the Andy Griffith Show, and I am in love. Smile
Re: Has anyone else just given up on TV [message #67383 is a reply to message #67379] Tue, 03 May 2011 12:27 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, There are gems and I do watch some, but it seems over the past year or two the overall quality and content have taken a dive. A good thing has been the release of many older movies on disk (cheap) plus services like Netfliks are a plus. The way of the future may well be all digital media on remote servers, even your own music library. There was a few good articles on this subject over the past months. CDs especially are taking a big hit. LPs however are on the upswing.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Should we believe
Next Topic: Did Michael Jackson hoax his death
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:40:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers