Home » Audio » Pro Sound » How Many Instruments?
How Many Instruments? [message #67074] Sat, 16 April 2011 10:11 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
How many instruments do you play? Are you proficient in them all?

I play piano and am competent but not particularly gifted. I can play a few chords on the guitar but that's all.
Re: How Many Instruments? [message #67076 is a reply to message #67074] Sat, 16 April 2011 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Took piano lessons for 7 years as a kid. I could play classical pieces pretty well, but I had to practice and study. Never really could sightread unless I went real slowly and that frustrated me. I was impressed by musicians like Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson and so ultimately decided that my best gift was in designing the equipment that would make the sounds, not in being the musician that created them. Laughing

Re: How Many Instruments? [message #67078 is a reply to message #67076] Sat, 16 April 2011 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Guitar and bass are the instruments I'm the most proficient at, although I don't play at anywhere near the level I used to many years ago. I played in bands from the time I was 16 until my mid '30s, and have hundreds of live performances and scores of recording sessions to my credit. But for the past several years, I may pick the guitar up and noodle around only a few times per month; a far cry from the dedicated and disciplined two hours-plus per day that I used to practice.

I used to play the mandolin very well, but haven't owned one in several years now. Ditto for the violin. My proficiency on the drums and piano never reached the same level as on the stringed instruments, but I did get good enough on the piano that I've performed live on it a few times without embarrassing myself too bad. Laughing

I'm really too old now to learn a new instrument, especially since my job keeps me working insane overtime hours, but I'd LOVE to play the sax and the banjo. The banjo has a neck and strings so I'd probably pick it up without too much pulling my hair out. But, I've heard the sax is a very difficult instrument, besides the fact it ain't got strings!

Thermionic
Re: How Many Instruments? [message #67090 is a reply to message #67074] Sun, 17 April 2011 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne--I know what you mean about the sight-reading. That was one of my downfalls too. Smile

Thermionic--I'm quite impressed by you! You may not play as much as you used to, but I am envious of those who are able to perform live. The sax is a very cool instrument but one I never picked up either.
Re: How Many Instruments? [message #67093 is a reply to message #67074] Sun, 17 April 2011 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I can play a guitar. People think I am really great, but I think I'm mediocre at best. I only use single notes, 4th and 5th unisons, the P5 chord, and the chord where you play 3 strings on the same fret. but I use dozens of scales and can play very fast and clean. Can sweep pick.

I'm a hell of a Bass player, but have spent very little time playing the instrument. If I had a dedicated rig I would be the best guy around. Really. It comes from the way I've always played guitar. The notes in the Bass register are much more "apparent" to me.

I know all the notes on a Piano. I could probably play my own keyboard lines on one if I were recording an album. Chords are out of the question for the most part.

Finally there is my voice. 5 octave range. Can sing anything from Death Metal, Crooning, R&B, Pop, Opera, Screaming, Haven't heard a vocal style yet I couldn't emulate. It's taken me forever to learn how to sing properly, correcting bad technique as I go. I'm about 95% on key these days and about 80% on perfect pitch.

Re: How Many Instruments? [message #67104 is a reply to message #67074] Tue, 19 April 2011 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brian21 is currently offline  brian21
Baron
My two best instruments are the alto sax and piano. I've played both about twenty years, since I started in band in elementary school. I'd say I'm "proficient", but not exceptionally gifted. I also play clarinet decently, and have dabbled with the other woodwinds. I'd love to learn guitar someday, my best friend is great at it, it's an awesome instrument.

It's funny about sight reading, that's actually a strength of mine. For some reason, perfecting tone and technique has always been much more of a challenge and struggle for me.
Re: How Many Instruments? [message #67269 is a reply to message #67074] Thu, 28 April 2011 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I played the clarinet in high school but that's about it. I was technically good but not really gifted, if you know what I mean.
Re: How Many Instruments? [message #67328 is a reply to message #67074] Sat, 30 April 2011 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicJunkie is currently offline  MusicJunkie
Chancellor
I can play a few songs on the piano but I would not say I am proficient. I mostly learned to play them by ear so I don't even know if that counts. I also sang for years but after a few bouts of laryngitis my voice is not quite the same as it used to be.
Re: How Many Instruments? [message #68238 is a reply to message #67074] Sat, 18 June 2011 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doppler is currently offline  Doppler
Chancellor
I play the piano. I'm very far from being a virtuoso but I was once part of a school band, which performed in public such as during mini-concerts at school, local social and cultural events, and weddings. Smile I also have had it in mind to learn how to play the violin. I'm just so in love with violin music. The sound is simply ethereal. Very Happy
Re: How Many Instruments? [message #68384 is a reply to message #68238] Wed, 29 June 2011 11:55 Go to previous message
cogent is currently offline  cogent
Chancellor
I play trumpet pretty well and have taken piano lessons mostly for the learning experience. Right now, I play guitar, primarily. It seems easier to jam with others than my trumpet.
Previous Topic: Separating tracks
Next Topic: Coiling Cable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:03:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout