Home » Audio » Speaker » Neodymium speaker price sticker shock.
Neodymium speaker price sticker shock. [message #66980] Sun, 10 April 2011 18:58 Go to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If your using Neodymium speakers in speaker enclosures, be prepared for for some sticker shock. For instance the price for the Eminence 3015LF drivers like I use in my PA enclosures just went from $175.00 a piece to $290.00 each. Because of the price increases in Neodymium. Shocked Shocked .
Re: Neodymium speaker price sticker shock. [message #66985 is a reply to message #66980] Sun, 10 April 2011 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wonder if this happens to be due to a virtual monopoly from a certain country, allowing them to jack up the prices?

Do you know what caused this price jump?

Re: Neodymium speaker price sticker shock. [message #66986 is a reply to message #66985] Sun, 10 April 2011 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm not sure, but I found out from Bill Fitzmaurice's board, he's modified at lot of his speaker designs to handle ferrite magnents using Eminence lab's, because of Neo prices are on the rise, and he does't like using lab's because of the to low of fs for his designs. Supposedly the Neo price's started at the beging of April this year. I wouldn't be suprised if the chineese are buying a lot since it's a rare earth metal. I haven't checked out the stock markets for them myself, but you might want to check it out with Eminence since your a dealer for them and see what they have to say.

Here's a reply from Leland Crooks, from one of Bill F.'s board:

"I just got off the phone with eminence. They and the rest of the industry are pricing Neo drivers on a 24hr basis only. Prices are spiking right now, could as much as double. The Chinese cut exports by 60%, and raised the tariff. Most of the increase is due to the export restriction. It will take a couple of years for local mines to get into production.

I've had to kill all my sales of neo's until I get some new info. They are scrambling to put together pricing as I type. Right now it looks like anywhere from a 30 to 100% increase depending on the driver."

Sorry for stealng another boards content.
Bill W.

Re: Neodymium speaker price sticker shock. [message #66988 is a reply to message #66986] Sun, 10 April 2011 23:14 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, that's what I thought. The Chinese are taxing their exports, driving the costs way up.

I never started using drivers with neodymium magnets myself, always preferring ferrite motors with shorting rings for the high-end stuff. They're not as light as neodymium, but they are more linear than standard ferrite structures, which in turn makes them distort less. But where strength-to-weight is concerned, neodymium is king.

I remember some discussion about disk drive costs where I was told that the Chinese were focusing on this market, trying hard to corner it with predatory pricing that made it impractical for companies in other countries to invest in mines. So what they've done is to create a monopoly. One would wonder why companies that depend on neodymium wouldn't have anticipated this possibility, since there are a lot of products that require neodymium magnets for their small size and/or flux-to-weight ratio. It will be crippling for some industries.

For speakers, it's pretty much just a convenience. The smaller size magnet just means lighter weight. The package is still large, because the diaphragm is large. You can't make a 12" woofer smaller than 12", for example. But the smaller magnet means it can be lighter. Other than that, it's not really a problem to go back to ferrite. Add a Faraday ring to a ferrite motor and you have a better driver anyway.

Previous Topic: Buying speakers
Next Topic: The Fredarrays are Up and Running
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:11:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout