Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Sub Box (Questions for a build)
Sub Box [message #66977] Sun, 10 April 2011 16:02 Go to next message
DefAudio is currently offline  DefAudio
Esquire
I was thinking of adding some sub woofers to my car and building my own sealed box from scratch. Any tips on what to use as far as materials? At the moment I plan to use MDF board and seal it thoroughly with liquid nails and silicone. I also plan to add weatherstripping under the mounting part of the sub for a good seal there. If anyone has any other tips to help with this project I would love to hear them.
Re: Sub Box [message #66978 is a reply to message #66977] Sun, 10 April 2011 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you're not worried about moisture, then MDF is fine. But if the trunk isn't sealed real well, if there is even just a little bit of moisture that seeps in, use baltic birch plywood instead.

Re: Sub Box [message #67132 is a reply to message #66978] Wed, 20 April 2011 12:12 Go to previous message
FE3T is currently offline  FE3T
Esquire
Living in a country with temperatures from -30 Celsius in the winter, tp +30 Celsius in the summer, and since i have mostly been driving 20 year or older cars, i know all about moisture in the trunk.

My method are either to use waterproof fibreboard (bathroom flooring) or if using MDF to paint all surfaces. (outside and inside) with thinned PVA glue before applying any carpetry.

index.php?t=getfile&id=355&private=0

22mm Water resist fibreboard

index.php?t=getfile&id=356&private=0
carpeted and completed.
This was made to be a squeze fit in a 88 Mazda 626 Coupe (or MX6 for the US citizens)

• Attachment: Bassbox02.jpg
    (Size: 70.34KB, Downloaded 2081 times)
  • Attachment: Bassbox05.jpg
    (Size: 75.98KB, Downloaded 2181 times)
Previous Topic: Will Longer Wires Reduce Sound Quality?
Next Topic: Veneer advice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:18:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout