Home » Audio » Speaker » 3-Way Speakers for My Car
3-Way Speakers for My Car [message #66893] Mon, 04 April 2011 10:12 Go to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
I would like to change out the speakers in my car, since they are really poor quality. I am attracted to 3-way speakers from what I have read about them and need some help when I am shopping for them. Does the description of the speaker need to specify that it is composed of woofer, tweeter and mid-range or is there other terminology that might be used to specify the same thing? Also, I have read that the greater the frequency response range the better. Is there a "best" range to look for?

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: 3-Way Speakers for My Car [message #66894 is a reply to message #66893] Mon, 04 April 2011 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)

40hz-40Khz at minimum for main speakers.
Subs should be able to get down to 16hz for the sub-octave and first octave.

Re: 3-Way Speakers for My Car [message #66998 is a reply to message #66893] Mon, 11 April 2011 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You also need to look at the specs and listen to the speakers to see how they handle overlapping frequencies at the crossover from one to the other (midrange to tweeter, e.g.).
Re: 3-Way Speakers for My Car [message #67137 is a reply to message #66998] Wed, 20 April 2011 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FE3T is currently offline  FE3T
Esquire
3 way components are nice, mainly because the offer more fredom in placement.

If you mean something like this:

http://fixya.net/Products/J/Jensen/177x150/jx369_6x9_triaxial_speaker_pair_c_236538.jpg

Beware. On the cheapest speakers of this configuration you migth not even get a 3 way speaker. i have actually seen such speakers where the super tweeter are just a dummy, basically just a shiny dome, without magnet, coil, or even a pieco disk to make it do anything.

Actually, my favorites amoungst the coaxial`s are these:

http://www.avtozvuk.com/az/1999/09/Speaker/Macrom.jpg

Made by Morel for a brand called Macrom, even Xtant sold these under their brand. Morel still makes similar models they are a bit costly, but in my opinion they are worth it.
Re: 3-Way Speakers for My Car [message #69493 is a reply to message #66893] Thu, 15 September 2011 05:18 Go to previous message
elitha123 is currently offline  elitha123
Esquire
yes you are right higher frequency response is good for audio speakers. I have one set of mcintosh car speakers and they working fine.

You can try your 3D car speakers on mcintosh websites.
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=CarAudioSpeakers&ProductId=MSS630

Previous Topic: The AudioKarma Econo-Waveguide Speaker
Next Topic: Multi sub hook-up question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:57:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout