Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Subwoofer AMP (Amp for powering Subwoofer)
Subwoofer AMP [message #66850] Sat, 02 April 2011 15:51 Go to next message
jshoc is currently offline  jshoc
Chancellor
Thinking about building two Pi3 woofers.

If I were to use my Onkyo m282 amp (see link below), would I power one woofer with the right channel and the other with the left channel?

Thanks
Jim

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?class=Amplifier&m=M-282
Re: Subwoofer AMP [message #66852 is a reply to message #66850] Sat, 02 April 2011 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Certainly, that will work just fine. Tap into the preamp signal going to the amp for your mains, and run it to a sub crossover. I've tried several crossovers, and had good results, some better than others. Ironically, the one I like best for multisubs is this little thing:
It's not the prettiest thing to look at, and rates a zero in "cool factor". It's probably not audiophile approved. But it's easy to sneak it up to really good quality levels with the Burr Brown and capacitor upgrade mods. It has a nice gentle 12dB/octave slope, perfect for blending. Crossover points are selectable, and they work out nicely for flanking subs (selecting 90Hz or 180Hz) or for more distant subs (selecting 50Hz low-pass). Once it is setup, you can just leave it on so there's really no reason it shouldn't be out of sight and out of mind. Smile
Re: Subwoofer AMP [message #66861 is a reply to message #66850] Sat, 02 April 2011 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Quote:
It's probably not audiophile approved.

But what is? 101% is impossible, so those guys will never be happy.

You are going to need roughly double the wattage for the sub amp as the main amp too.

Re: Subwoofer AMP [message #66866 is a reply to message #66861] Sun, 03 April 2011 09:30 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
http://audioroundtable.com/images/Laughing_Felix.gif
Previous Topic: Rocketfish
Next Topic: Active Sub Crossover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:05:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio