Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Connecting Cables for dummies
Connecting Cables for dummies [message #66798] Wed, 30 March 2011 19:41 Go to next message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
My husband wants to set up a new home theater on his own. He is too stubborn to ask for help. Is there a website that explains how to connect electronics for dummies. He obviously doesn't know how to read the instructions that came with it. I try to stay as far away from all of it as I can.
Re: Connecting Cables for dummies [message #66806 is a reply to message #66798] Thu, 31 March 2011 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If something fits, that is where it goes as long as it is the same color. Black and White are the same thing in audio if you have japanese and american cables sitting around.

Just get speaker wire that clearly shows the polarity and twist the wires together and put it in there. Color match the RCA or Digital end plugs on the equipment.

Re: Connecting Cables for dummies [message #67123 is a reply to message #66806] Tue, 19 April 2011 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Try what i call the Butterball Turkey Hotline

On several occasions as the local "audio expert" I have been called upon to do the hook-up. Twice now, I've called the 800 number all the Sonys, Kenwoods and Yamahas provide and had the system all plugged in short order.

Well...it was short after going thru the 'touch-me' menus
Re: Connecting Cables for dummies [message #67405 is a reply to message #66798] Tue, 03 May 2011 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tiktokontheclock is currently offline  tiktokontheclock
Chancellor
If your husband is setting up electronics or cable, he shouldn't have an issue. The majority of men don't need an instruction manual to set up a television and hook it up to the cable. He should be alright Smile
Re: Connecting Cables for dummies [message #67432 is a reply to message #66806] Thu, 05 May 2011 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
Yeah, surprisingly I have found that as complicated as wiring seems, it is not so hard when it comes to speakers. It is all pretty much color coded. The hardest part may be making sure you actually have placed them in there good enough, but it's actually pretty amazing how it all works.
Re: Connecting Cables for dummies [message #71816 is a reply to message #66798] Sat, 17 March 2012 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jammin_nmy_livinroom is currently offline  jammin_nmy_livinroom
Chancellor
Like many of the posts above said, even though it looks hard to wire a home entertainment system, it really isn't, because everything is color-coded. However, if your hubby just can't get it, there are some websites out there that can help. I found one called "wirewize", which states that it offers "How to Connect" guides for home electronics. I don't know if the information is free or not, but if it helps, it might be worth it!
Re: Connecting Cables for dummies [message #73344 is a reply to message #66798] Sat, 21 July 2012 06:17 Go to previous message
Sonicsound is currently offline  Sonicsound
Baron
I actually agree with most of the people here. I think your husband will be alright, it is really simple to set up electronics without instructions. I did so with my dslr (digital single lens reflex) camera, web camera, TV, and even cell phone without much problems. Even connecting the speakers from my laptop to my television wasn't too difficult, though the problem ended up being a matter of getting mono when I wanted stereo, but that's another story for another time entirely!
Previous Topic: Youtube instruction
Next Topic: 2pi build question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:19:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout