Home » Audio » Radio » The death of radio as we knew it (Has radio lived its full life?)
The death of radio as we knew it [message #66771] Sat, 26 March 2011 20:16 Go to next message
Wuzajock is currently offline  Wuzajock
Chancellor
Does anyone agree that radio, as we knew it since its inception until the last 10 years, is now dead? When I was growing up, radio announcers were true professionals, ALL of them. Complete with FCC license. Cable TV & music videos hurt it, then the internet made its impact, but satellite radio stations pretty much sounded the death knell I think. People have so many other, better quality sources of music & information. It definitely had its day though, I'm glad I got to experience it Smile
Re: The death of radio as we knew it [message #66774 is a reply to message #66771] Sun, 27 March 2011 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree. I don't see any reason to use old expensive pipelines of the past for any sort of information. It is much cheaper now just to use broadband. If only we Americans knew the joys of Europe's ridiculous speeds. Unfortunately they gotta keep it slowed down over here for no reason I can think of. The number of HD video channels fiber can handle is so huge there is no reason radio can not take advantage and broadcast studio quality sources. One day it will all come together where you pay for access to all the vaults per month and listen on demand. It gives them a steady cash flow and control over their product and everyone access to everything. In a way I see radio taking over from owning your own copies. You can bet piracy will continue on the fringes, but for the most part I don't see people eager to go to the hassle of downloading 300-600mb flacs to even compete when streaming 24-bit, 96Khz studio files are being broadcast for a small fee per month. It would probably be far cheaper than cable and competitive with satellite.

Satellite is terrible too. Switch over next time you are parked in the car from the AUX port to the CD player and notice all the fidelity and clarity of pure digital compared to however they are destroying the audio. I wouldn't be surprised if they were using lossy compression by now.

Re: The death of radio as we knew it [message #66888 is a reply to message #66771] Sun, 03 April 2011 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iDummy is currently offline  iDummy
Baron
I agree that the quality of the programming and announcers is not what they used to be. I gave up satellite and regular radio a couple of years ago, and completely about 6 months. I don't even care if the car I have has a radio. I rather listen to books on tapes of my iPod.
Re: The death of radio as we knew it [message #66891 is a reply to message #66771] Mon, 04 April 2011 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
Yes, as all things change, radio definately has. And because of the choices we have today that we didn't have then, the audience gets smaller. I think it will continue to evolve though, and will experience a come-back when the marketers figure out what is wanted in broadcast. When you're traveling alone in the middle of the night, it's still nice to hear a voice on the radio talking to you.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: The death of radio as we knew it [message #66910 is a reply to message #66891] Tue, 05 April 2011 13:26 Go to previous message
Wuzajock is currently offline  Wuzajock
Chancellor
I agree GoodVibrations, it IS nice to hear a real voice especially when traveling alone. That means you can even call them to chat. hahaha. I think radio still has a small niche market there and also in the news sector. Having lived in Florida for 26 years, I've often slapped batteries in my little portable radio so I could get hurricane updates when the power was out.
Previous Topic: How Popular is Radio?
Next Topic: Howard Stern
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:53:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout