Home » Audio » Source » Turntables
Turntables [message #66600] Thu, 10 March 2011 07:47 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If you own a turntable, where did you find it? Is it new or a refurbished old one?

I think I'm going to start looking around garage sales and see if I can find one.
Re: Turntables [message #66601 is a reply to message #66600] Thu, 10 March 2011 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are plenty of really nice new turntables out there. For an entry level table (that isn't junk), look at Rega and Technics. For just a little more, look at VPI.

Re: Turntables [message #66603 is a reply to message #66600] Thu, 10 March 2011 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was gifted a Kenwood Direct Drive turntable. It sounds fine as intended, but sounds awful when I try to record any of my vinyl.

Re: Turntables [message #66604 is a reply to message #66603] Thu, 10 March 2011 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I had one of the Technics direct-drive tables and an Audio Technica AT20SL cartridge back in the early 1980's. I really liked it, sounded great and never needed any service. Set the anti-skate and tracking force once and never fooled with it again. But I sort of let that go when CDs started becoming popular.

Thankfully, I was always very meticulous with my vinyl albums, handling them well, storing them properly and cleaning them before use. I never played them on a mediocre quality table and the needle and tracking weight were always right. So I kept my record condition in good shape, and even after I stopped playing them, I kept them stored them carefully.

In 2000 or so, I wanted to get a new table and a friend turned me on to the Regas. I was still kind of partial to the Technics tables, but the Rega was one of the nicer ones and the price was right. So I snatched it up.

I have several of the old half-speed masters and they really sound wonderful. The "garden variety" store bought vinyl albums aren't all that special but the half-speed masters are. They aren't as effortless as CDs in that you have to go through the cleaning ritual and all that. But there's something nostalgic about vinyl records, and again, the half-speed masters sound incredible.

Re: Turntables [message #66610 is a reply to message #66604] Fri, 11 March 2011 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the leads. It's true vinyl is a bit more maintenance but there is just something special about it and I've been nostalgic for the sound for awhile now.
Re: Turntables [message #66720 is a reply to message #66604] Sun, 20 March 2011 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 10 March 2011 14:42

I have several of the old half-speed masters and they really sound wonderful. The "garden variety" store bought vinyl albums aren't all that special but the half-speed masters are. They aren't as effortless as CDs in that you have to go through the cleaning ritual and all that. But there's something nostalgic about vinyl records, and again, the half-speed masters sound incredible.

I think the "garden variety" albums are all very special because there's just a diferent feeling from the CDs. It's not just the jacket, or liner notes,or brushing the needle before applying Stylast; the additional ambient information on vinyl including the odd click or pop makes it more involving. Perhaps that's only true of us oldsters that grew up with it.

Another point that rewards vinyl listeners is that changes in components have bigger rewards than digital. There just isn't as much difference between CD players as cartridges or phono stages. When I first acquired Dr. John "Gumbo"

http://images1.wax.fm/dr_john_dr_johns_gumbo-SD7006-1256597414.jpeg

I was disappointed how muffled his voice and piano were in the mix with the Technics SL-1210, Benz Ace and Nova Phonomena (that's some pretty fine $2300 bucks of equipment!). Played it again tonight with VPI HW-19 MK IV, Soundsmith re-tipped Aurum Beta S and Steve Browns new phonostage: night and day difference. The voice is right out front and over his remarkable piano and had me waaay inside the music.

index.php?t=getfile&id=333&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=334&private=0

And, of course, when you have 4Pi Speakers all those changes get show-cased!

index.php?t=getfile&id=335&private=0

Re: Turntables [message #67404 is a reply to message #66720] Tue, 03 May 2011 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I love the speaker stands. I've been know to use some from the same high end company.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Turntables [message #67428 is a reply to message #67404] Thu, 05 May 2011 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I used to use milk crates. I would find it very hard to believe that these high-dollar stands could isolate noise better than than that. If you filled them up with insulation, they would be very hard to beat.

Re: Turntables [message #67430 is a reply to message #66600] Thu, 05 May 2011 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
Yeah, I can imagine that the plastic from the milk crates could absorb sound. I hadn't thought of something that simple. I guess if someone wants to use them, but has a problem with how they look, there are always ways to "disguise" them, I'm sure.
Re: Turntables [message #67433 is a reply to message #67430] Thu, 05 May 2011 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I painted mine. I also at one time made a turntable stand from about 20 8X8X16 concrete blocks. I covered it with cloth to hide the bricks. Literally stable as a rock. I got rid of it after a while as I moved the system, but also to get rid of a toe stubbing problem Shocked - it didn't budge when you ran into it with bare feet.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Pro-Ject Debut III Noise with Speed Box
Next Topic: Oktava MK319
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 07:42:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers