Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Sound for Gymnasium
Sound for Gymnasium [message #66580] Tue, 08 March 2011 11:33 Go to next message
JakeQ is currently offline  JakeQ
Esquire
Instead of a professional theater, we are holding our year end band, guitar and choir concert in the school's gymnasium. I've been told it's going to be too hard to set up the sound. What do you think?
Re: Sound for Gymnasium [message #67424 is a reply to message #66580] Wed, 04 May 2011 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicJunkie is currently offline  MusicJunkie
Chancellor
Gyms are hard acoustically because they are usually so large and open. That being said, all my high school band and choir concerts were in the gymnasium. If you want to do it there you can always find a way.
Re: Sound for Gymnasium [message #67435 is a reply to message #67424] Thu, 05 May 2011 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It isn't the "large and open" that's the problem unless you don't have enough power. It's the hardness of the walls and the fact that there's nothing in there to absorb any sound (except the people). It will sound very different once people are inside and won't sound too bad but when it's empty or if there aren't many people there, it will be way too lively. Directional speakers help.

Re: Sound for Gymnasium [message #67440 is a reply to message #67435] Thu, 05 May 2011 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, it's the hard surfaces that make it sound terrible during rehearsal. We also had concerts in the gym, though, and once the entire school was packed in there, they absorbed a great deal and made it sound better.
Re: Sound for Gymnasium [message #67623 is a reply to message #66580] Sun, 15 May 2011 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brian21 is currently offline  brian21
Baron
That's interesting, I remember back in high school band I also used to think it was the gym being so open that affected the sound the most. I imagine that is a common misconception. I remember my band teacher used to freak out about the sound when we would rehearse there before the concert. I wonder if she knew much about acoustics. Now that I've learned a little more, the fact that the sound absorption is the issue makes perfect sense. No wonder our actual concerts usually turned out fine.
Re: Sound for Gymnasium [message #67884 is a reply to message #66580] Fri, 27 May 2011 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We always had our concerts in the gymnasium when I was in school. It wasn't ideal, but once the audience was seated, usually the sound turned out ok.
Re: Sound for Gymnasium [message #68146 is a reply to message #66580] Sun, 12 June 2011 08:27 Go to previous message
Doppler is currently offline  Doppler
Chancellor
In high school, events such as concerts and other performances were almost always held in the gym. I also thought that it's the space being open and large that creates a difference in the sound. I wasn't aware that it's the hard surfaces that cause reverberations.
Previous Topic: Looking for a Visual
Next Topic: Transforming basement to practice/recording space
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:17:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout