Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Piano tuning
Piano tuning [message #66501] Fri, 04 March 2011 21:08 Go to next message
SoundCheck is currently offline  SoundCheck
Chancellor
We have a piano at home and it has been with us for more than a decade now. From what I remember, it has gone through a tuning-up only twice or thrice...How often should a piano be tuned? Also, how true is it that changes in humidity significantly causes pianos to go out of tune? Razz
Re: Piano tuning [message #66502 is a reply to message #66501] Fri, 04 March 2011 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicDiva is currently offline  MusicDiva
Baron
I think it depends on how much you play, but my dad's a I've always heard twice a year is fine. As I'm sure you know, it takes a really long time to tune so unless you play a lot and want to do it, it's not really worth your time Razz
Re: Piano tuning [message #66982 is a reply to message #66501] Sun, 10 April 2011 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree with MusicDiva,
The piano we had in our living room when I was growing up, my mom would always have it tuned twice a year. The worst things for acoustic piano's is moving them, varying tempature and humidity differentals. Most professional rock bands like Elton John and the Rolling Stones always carried there own personal piano tuners when they were touring, and he would have to tune the piano's before the show started. But for home 2x a year is fine.
Re: Piano tuning [message #67077 is a reply to message #66982] Sat, 16 April 2011 17:31 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Howdy SoundCheck,

They make a gizmo with a heater and a humidifier controlled by a humidistat, that mounts inside the piano. If the humidity rises too high, a heater kicks on to dry it out, and the humidifer of course does the opposite. It's not only supposed to stabilize the tuning, but also greatly extend the life of the piano. The last I knew they were around 600 bucks, but I guess if somebody played a lot and their house had wide temp/humidity swings, it'd eventually pay for itself.

I knew somebody who put one of the heater bars in their new piano (it's very humid here in Arkansas), and it constantly went out of tune just as bad after it was installed as before. But, it was a really terrible piano, and I don't think anything could've helped it much, besides maybe pushing it off a cliff. Rolling Eyes .

Thermionic
Previous Topic: Autotune
Next Topic: Wireless Microphone System
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 01:26:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers