Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Today's Puzzler
Today's Puzzler [message #8677] Wed, 12 January 2005 12:52 Go to next message
TubeCraft is currently offline  TubeCraft
Baron
Noticed the new amp I built is short on bass. I fire up the test tone CD, and sure enough, no reponse at 100hz. (Response at 1khz and 10khz seems pretty normal.)

Using a plain old VOM, I trace good response (test tone at 100hz) to the socket grid connection of the driver tube, a 5687. The 5687 has 170v on the plate (pin1), the cathode is at 7v(pin 3), running at 14.7ma. I measure a 5v RMS signal at the grid pin socket connection (pin 2).

There is little or no signal appearing at the plate (91mv).

Swap in several different tubes, 5687, 7044 no change.

Any ideas?

Rk=475r (bypassed 220uf) Rl=7k5 Grid=100k gain pot

Do you have grid stoppers? [message #8678 is a reply to message #8677] Wed, 12 January 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BrownEyes is currently offline  BrownEyes
Esquire

Re: Do you have grid stoppers? [message #8679 is a reply to message #8678] Wed, 12 January 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Nope. I'll try 1k right up against the pin.

Re: Today's Puzzler [message #8680 is a reply to message #8677] Thu, 13 January 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Frequency selective fault, hmm ?! I`d try to disconect input and output connections from this triode and cathode bypass cap, too. Install grid leak (say, 100k from grid to ground) and then you have only Ra, Rk and Rg. Be sure that B+ is OK (no bypass caps to the "wrong" places, etc.).
Then try the 100Hz input direct at the grid pin, and measure the output, direct on the anode pin. You must get the good result, check everything. Check 220uF cathode bypass capacitor, polarity, and solder it, then check again (more amplification). Then check input jack and input pot and install them. Check again. If everything is allright, then check and install output cap, etc.

Grid stoppers- No change [message #8681 is a reply to message #8678] Thu, 13 January 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Put 1k right up against the pin. No effect. I guess I'll slap together a breadboard with a new socket and try it out. It's gotta be the socket/connection. Unless the laws of physics are temporarily suspended in the driver section of my amp....

Re: Today's Puzzler [message #8682 is a reply to message #8680] Thu, 13 January 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks Damir,
I'm going to put a breadboard together with a new socket and see what happens - I'm getting a good 5v rms @ 100hz signal downstream of the entire input section, but you're right, the only way to crack this nut is to simplify until I get a good result, then add on one piece at a time...

Re: Today's Puzzler [message #8683 is a reply to message #8677] Thu, 13 January 2005 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Something in the signal path acting as a high-pass filter? A cap out of place?....Colin

Re: Today's Puzzler - Solved [message #8694 is a reply to message #8677] Sat, 15 January 2005 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Seems the interstage transformer on the output of the stage (Parafeed connection) wasn't doing it's share loading the tube - or it's shorting. Then I removed the transformer connection - and measured with no load at all - very dumb - I guess my cheap VOM isn't really a "load."

I replaced the transformer primary with a cap and a resistor and voila - 2.9v in and 24.9v out.

Makes sense - no load - no current flow - no current, no volts. 3 days of beating my head on my workbench....

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the breadboard on the workbench eventually told the tale.

It's gonna be a kickin' amp when it's done.

I do love the "solved" posts [message #8700 is a reply to message #8694] Tue, 18 January 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
great to see what actually happened and how it was fixed.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Here's the why! [message #8707 is a reply to message #8700] Wed, 19 January 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
The $%#@& lead out diagram packed with the bleedin' transformer was wrong! So if anyone out there's using a Hammond 124E interstage go to the website and check the corrected wiring diagram! The one printed on the carton is incorrect.

Transformers don't work well a completely shorted winding.

Previous Topic: Bypassing Caps
Next Topic: Do You Know Which Is The Best 845 Tube?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:36:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio