Home » Audio » Home Theater » Are home theaters as good as movie theaters?
Are home theaters as good as movie theaters? [message #66445] Wed, 02 March 2011 19:21 Go to next message
bengee is currently offline  bengee
Chancellor
I would figure they would be, minus all the people making noise in the seats, but I just had to ask. After all, home theaters are a bit costly- are they worth saving money for versus the $8 or $9 dollars spent in a movie theater per movie?
icon14.gif  Re: Are home theaters as good as movie theaters? [message #66446 is a reply to message #66445] Wed, 02 March 2011 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have a look at this for an example of high-end home theater:
Not only is quality improved, but there's something to be said about being in the privacy of your own home.

http://www.PiSpeakers.com/DIY/BigmouthinDC/BigmouthinDC_4Pi_HomeTheater_01_Screen.jpg

Re: Are home theaters as good as movie theaters? [message #66449 is a reply to message #66445] Wed, 02 March 2011 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SoundCheck is currently offline  SoundCheck
Chancellor
I guess so...The increasing costs of gas, movie tickets, food and drinks sold at the theater make home theater a good option to think of. Plus, think of the comfort and the privacy afforded by having your very own home theater...and with technology on the rise, the quality of home theaters is not below par...Maybe a little math on your family's movie theater expenses in a year or two and on the cost of home theaters would give some answers... Razz
Re: Are home theaters as good as movie theaters? [message #66450 is a reply to message #66445] Wed, 02 March 2011 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The audio alone is not up to snuff and that is the only thing *I* would consider for myself.

The sound system seemed to be in excess of 500watts per channel with a definite 30-40Khz frequency response, the last time I saw a movie where they were actually pulling the system to it's limits. (the last star wars movie)

Unless you spend a good bit of money and are a sticklar for specs, I don't think the audio is good enough.

If you can cover 30-40Khz at 120db, I think you can get a better response. The reason is because those theaters rarely crank their systems and only when it is expected of them. Personally I would raise hell in a theater that is not at concert volume for the simple fact they can do it, but choose not to for some reason.

I'm on the opposite end to most on this one. I prefer over 100db when it is possible and not a decibel less. I think most people don't like sounds that loud.

Re: Are home theaters as good as movie theaters? [message #66459 is a reply to message #66450] Thu, 03 March 2011 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The speakers in the home theater shown in the post above will produce 100dB with a mere 2 watts input. Reaching 120dB only takes 200 watts and they're not even breaking a sweat at that power level. Considering the size of the home theater is just a few hundred square feet, there's the potential for a lot of acoustic power in a relatively small space. All the components used are of the best quality, flux modulation rings in the woofers and smooth compression drivers in the tweeters, high quality passive components in the crossovers. And the design is optimized for controlled directivity so seat-to-seat coverage is uniform and of high quality. In short, that theater will outperform any walk-in ten-bucks-a-seat public theater out there.

Re: Are home theaters as good as movie theaters? [message #66463 is a reply to message #66445] Thu, 03 March 2011 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well of course we can simply replicate a good high end system for a home theater, but I make the assumption that people don't quite have that budget, know-how or access to said equipment.

I just don't see the money adding up. If you go see a hundred movies a year, the cost might be worth it.

Re: Are home theaters as good as movie theaters? [message #66470 is a reply to message #66463] Thu, 03 March 2011 12:52 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, yes, I think on that aspect, I agree with you. Certainly the little "home theater in a box" systems don't sound good at all to me. But most of the people I talk to are into a little more than that.

It doesn't require a second mortgage on the home to get really good sound, but it does take more than a three hundred dollar purchase at Best Buy.

Previous Topic: Size of TV
Next Topic: New Television
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:21:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout