Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Grounded Grid Preamp Breadboarded
Holy Toledo! [message #8667 is a reply to message #8665] Mon, 10 January 2005 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Now I dig yo jive.  It is to laugh; this is a circuit that I have used and promoted for years!  I learned to call it the singly-driven diff-amp; schem likee so:

I'm a push-pull animal, and this is my fave phase splitter (I take output off both plates) since it has gain, and its balance may be adjusted by the values of the two plate resistors.  It occurs to me that if output is to be taken from the grounded grid side only, perhaps the load (plate) resistor on the driven (by signal) side, or the actual common cathode (this is another name for the plate-loaded amp) side may be omitted.

This is another use for this circuit that I had not perceived. I have used it as a preamp as shown here:

This uses transformer output to reduce the gain and Zout, rather than negative feedback, which I have found to be a technically attractive but sonically dangerous tactic.  The problem with this circuit is the output transformer, which is unobtanium.

Okay, now I'm seeing what is happening here. Thank you for your very clear explanation of this circuit.

Yer Obeediyunt Servunt,

Poinz

Re: Holy Toledo! [message #8668 is a reply to message #8667] Tue, 11 January 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Weren't interstage transformers popular in days gone by? Not IF coils, but audio interstage transformers like you've shown? Or am I thinking of something else?

Re: Holy Toledo! [message #8669 is a reply to message #8668] Tue, 11 January 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TubeCraft is currently offline  TubeCraft
Baron
Interstage transformers are very popular in my house. Especially since Hammond introduced the 124 series. I'm just finishing a PP 6B4G amp that uses a 124E driven by a 7044 in SE parafeed. Lots'a old paper in oil coupling caps. I know everyone says that good ITs have to be hideously expensive, not me. But hey, I'm just an experimenter, not an "audiophile." I do like music.

The 6B4G SE amp currently in my system is 6n1p (both sections parallel) driving a 124B IT (parafeed). Talk about el cheapo, the output transformer on that beast is a Rat Shack 70v line transformer!

TC

Re: Holy Toledo! [message #8670 is a reply to message #8667] Tue, 11 January 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yeah, that's it - except that as a single-ended line amp you would AC ground the plate of the "upper" tube (say a 10uf cap to ground) and just take the output from the plate of the "bottom" tube.

Z out and gain is moderate (depending on the tube) but the circuit is really easy to drive and really wide-band. People rave about the Rosenblit version. (All 12AU7s, I think).

Re: Holy Toledo! [message #8671 is a reply to message #8669] Tue, 11 January 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I thought I remembered seeing interstage transformers, and some prefered this approach to capacitor coupling because it offers impedance matching and what-not.

I like parafeed output circuits, they seem to swamp the loudspeaker resonance so they are much more tolerant of load. I guess there is probably some trick about setting the Q of the parafeed cap and transformer to keep it from getting tubby, but that's probably in the sizing of the components. I don't know, I just know I like what I've heard.

I guess the Radio Shack 70V transformer work pretty well, and the price is right too. That's cool. Since you're using a common distribution transformer, can you get substitute parts from other companies too?

Yes. [message #8672 is a reply to message #8670] Tue, 11 January 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
J.C. Morrison used it in his phono pre in Sound Practices, as well, and I've been using it as a phase splitter since about '90.

Actually, to AC ground the 'on' side plate, all that's necessary is to remove the load resistance, since the next thing up that wire is a big old capacitor to ground - significantly larger than 10µF, usually.

Thanks again,

Poinz

Interstage (or line output) transformers. [message #8673 is a reply to message #8668] Tue, 11 January 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yes, they're out there, but there seem to be two flavors:

Little peanut cheapos that sound like sh, ah, not so good.

Great bloody whacking things the size and expense of output transformers.

TC, my first try in the circuit above was the Hammond 124B.  I really wanted to like it, but it sounds just like the 10K outputs I tried in the 6V6 amp; dry, opaque.  I even tried Amveco power toroids (115+115 : 44), which Bench liked, but they were rolled off too much on both ends, and sort of wiry sounding. The Lundahls and Sowters and Tangos are all these ten watt monsters that cost $100-200 and won't even fit in the chassis.  It seems impossible to get the quality without the huge capacity.  Don't know why they feel that a component that's transforming a few milliwatts has to be rated at ten watts; maybe a traditional use for them is driving big transmitter tubes like 845's in A2.

I'm still looking, and also talking to some OEM winders who may be willing to wind to spec, but so far no joy.  I'm not giving up because I have a long affectionate history with the singly-driven diff-amp (thus my original Holy Toledo!). The high PSRR of diff amps makes them a natural for low level signal use; don't have to use huge music-sucking caps in the power supply final stage.

Poinz

Re: Holy Toledo! [message #8674 is a reply to message #8671] Tue, 11 January 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
"I guess there is probably some trick about setting the Q of the parafeed cap and transformer to keep it from getting tubby."

There's a small chapter in the Radiotron Manual (3rd ed.) on parafeed and sizing the cap to avoid resonance with the L of the transformer primary. Basically, it's easy, 'cause bigger is better, say 1-5 uf, some use up to 10uf. I use 400-630v Solens or vintage paper in oils. The Radiotron manual also mentions that one may want to intentionally size the cap to resonate to "increase bass response"...

There's also the Rp of the tube to consider and the quality of available caps!

The Rat Shack line transformer works great as a parafeed output - I'm sure something from allied or edcor would work just as well. Plan on experimenting with the various taps. I want to try using a PP OPT in parafeed.

BTW, I'm using the primary of the original Hammond 1627 opt as a plate choke.

Anyone who reads my posts, remember, I'm no EE or anything - I barely have the math to do anything correctly. Just an experimenter.

TC

Re: Interstage (or line output) transformers. [message #8675 is a reply to message #8673] Tue, 11 January 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Nice breadboard! What tubes?

Re: Interstage (or line output) transformers. [message #8676 is a reply to message #8675] Tue, 11 January 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
They're 6SN7's.  Novisibursk, I think; branded Sovtek.

I just started making breadboards last year.  It's a revelation; I don't have to worry about drilling extra holes or beating them up.  I've gotten more developmental prototyping in in the last year than the previous five.

Poinz

Previous Topic: tube sub info
Next Topic: anybody have an Altec/Peerless TX catalog?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:25:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio