Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Grounded Grid Preamp Breadboarded
Send in the Mud Hens... [message #8688 is a reply to message #8667] Fri, 14 January 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
The first circuit can be used with its load resistor to halve the circuit gain, should it be needed. It is an interesting proposition to adjust the value of the plate load of the so-called cathode follower in order to adjust the overall gain of the circuit...

interesting stuff to consider for the tweaking department for sure.
regards,
Douglas

Other sources... [message #8691 is a reply to message #8674] Fri, 14 January 2005 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
Ebay seems to have a selection of Altec/Peerless line-speaker TX's. 15xxx depending on power and likely tapping options and perhaps distribution from 600R and 70V lines as well.

Hunt 'Peerless' in the consumer electronics section. I have a feeling that the 600R:Voice-Coil ones would be best( if they actually exist ). More primary Z to improve te bass performance is usually a good thing.
regards,
Douglas

So-called cathode follower. [message #8692 is a reply to message #8688] Fri, 14 January 2005 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Thank you, Doug.  So-called grounded grid; what this circuit is, is a singly-driven diff-amp, and output may be taken off either plate (depending upon whether one requires inverted or non-inverted output), and circuit parameters adjusted to optimize the desired configuration.  Your read of using the driven side plate resistor to adjust the gain (when output is taken off the non-driven side) is brilliant; I hadn't seen that.

The Rosenblit/Transcendent circuit uses an active (SRPP) load on the output (GG/non-driven) side, but I don't have the voltage to spare.  What I do have (in my project box) is a pair of Hummond 150H chokes, which I'm going to try this weekend.  I now have the 6SN7 breadboard configured as a tranny coupled PP, so everything on the PS side is already there, the mod to the audio circuit will be simple.

Stay tuned.

Poinz

P.S.  I have some tranny news, if you like;  Post me.

Re: So-called cathode follower. [message #8693 is a reply to message #8692] Fri, 14 January 2005 22:19 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Poinz,

on this:Your read of using the driven side plate resistor to adjust the gain (when output is taken off the non-driven side) is brilliant; I hadn't seen that.

I had not seen it either. Seems like all sorts of possibilities open to play with that one. Two completely different types. 12GN7 pentode on the input side and a triode strapped version getting its cathode driven for one extreme. Play with the pentode's plate load and pay particular attention to how it is loaded and I'll bet it could do some remarkable stuff.

Two matched vlaves might be a better option. The plate load thing can be adjusted at both sides depending on the gain required. Low plate load onthe valve with its grid taking signal would offer an inverting low gain side. Or put the lower plate load on the grounded grid side. The output should be taken from the 'side' with its grid grounded for appearance's sake at least.

Just look at all the math applied to describing the balance in a Schmitt inverter and use it to quantify the imbalance that is required. Small common cathode loads( *NOT* CCS-like ) could also be applied to tuning the circuit performance.

Going to have to play with this stuff sooner or later, no doubt about that...
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: tube sub info
Next Topic: anybody have an Altec/Peerless TX catalog?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:32:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio