Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Microphonics
Microphonics [message #66408] Tue, 01 March 2011 06:02 Go to next message
SiliconChip is currently offline  SiliconChip
Chancellor
I'm new to valve amps and have some questions about microphonics. Does anyone experience microphonics distortion through their guitar amplifier? Would it be due to a faulty vacuum tube or other component, and can this kind of distortion occur with other types of valve amps? Thanks for any info.
Re: Microphonics [message #66420 is a reply to message #66408] Tue, 01 March 2011 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have always assumed any microphonality to a guitar tube amp's tone would be both intentional and designed since you can't eliminate it short of moving the head into a different room than the cabinet. I always sort of thought it was a way to add some sort of additional "feedback loop" (not exactly the right wording) to sustain the sound and get more lows and mids out of it.

Not to side step the question, but everyone that has ever used a Tube amp has experienced this whether they know it or not. It might actually be responsible for it's lower order harmonic distortion. I've never seen anyone test a tube amp and the cabinets completely isolated.

Re: Microphonics [message #66432 is a reply to message #66408] Wed, 02 March 2011 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SiliconChip is currently offline  SiliconChip
Chancellor
I've heard some people describe a guitar amplifier's microphonics distortion as part of its special sound and that it's actually desired. But if it's unwanted, what do you think about using those commercially available vacuum tube dampers to alleviate the distortions?
Re: Microphonics [message #66436 is a reply to message #66408] Wed, 02 March 2011 14:02 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think that the designers of the amps are extremely knowledgeable and aware that they could dampen the tubes. But they choose not to. The only way I personally would do this is if I used different model tubes than they installed and microphony itself caused a horrible change.

No harm in trying it out. It is all about what you want. If it gives you s more unique sound, that is a big bonus.

Previous Topic: Comparison with Solid State Amps
Next Topic: Counterpoint SA-7 Schematic Needed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:38:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout