Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Audio format converter?
Audio format converter? [message #66386] Mon, 28 February 2011 08:28 Go to next message
miss zoey
Baron
Are there any free audio format converters out there? I need one to convert the recordings from my phone so I can edit them on audacity. It all comes out as close to white noise when I import them to audacity but it sounds fine on iTunes, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the audio format. Thanks in advance.
Re: Audio format converter? [message #66393 is a reply to message #66386] Mon, 28 February 2011 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What kind of file is it?

You can usually decode back to wav files with whatever encoder originally transferred the file.

Re: Audio format converter? [message #66401 is a reply to message #66393] Tue, 01 March 2011 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miss zoey
Baron
There are two formats that I tried. First is the amr format that my friend used to do recordings from her phone and it just comes out as fast forwarded sound.

I also tried mp4, but audacity said it was too advanced and it couldn't read it. Help please! We need this for our video project and we can't edit them if audacity can't read them Sad
Re: Audio format converter? [message #66421 is a reply to message #66386] Tue, 01 March 2011 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The AMR files are just a sample rate problem. You don't want to use those if the original sample rate is 22.05.

I've never had to decode MP4 into wave, so I don't know. Every conversion software I have used has been terrible.

The best answer I have is to play the Mp4 anyway you can and plug a 1/8" stereo plug into the input and output and record it through audacity. Your soundcard can probably do it without the csble using it's own internal wiring, so if you know how to do that, you're all set.

Re: Audio format converter? [message #66465 is a reply to message #66421] Thu, 03 March 2011 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miss zoey
Baron
Oh okay. I'm sorry but what do you mean by sample rate problem? Also, how do I know what the original sample rate is? Sorry I'm not very used to using these kinds of programs so I'm a bit confused...
Re: Audio format converter? [message #66474 is a reply to message #66386] Thu, 03 March 2011 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, I am taking a leap and making an assumption. Every time the speed of a file is different it is usually because there are two clocks that are not communicating the proper sample rate/speed to be used.

If you can get anything to play normally, get a dual 1/8th" cable and record the output by linking the output jack with the input jack. Make sure windows is using the "microphone." Record with audacity. Work the volume level where it is very close to zero, but does not clip off the tops of the waveforms. Believe me, getting it about halfway up the meter and later amplifying it is not going to sound nearly as good.

Re: Audio format converter? [message #66491 is a reply to message #66474] Fri, 04 March 2011 10:57 Go to previous message
miss zoey
Baron
Ohh I think I kinda understand what you're saying now. Haha. We ended up just recording it on Audacity in a really quiet room but it's really bad quality. I might have to look for that cable so we could work it. Thanks a bunch!!! For being very, very helpful and responsive! Smile
Previous Topic: Best audio editing software for beginners?
Next Topic: Need A Guitar....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 04:57:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout