Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Best place to put subwoofer
Best place to put subwoofer [message #66350] Sun, 27 February 2011 06:12 Go to next message
SiliconChip is currently offline  SiliconChip
Chancellor
So what's the best place to put the subwoofer? Does it depend on the placement of all the other speakers, and/or the size and shape of the room? I think there's a way to actually calculate the best spot based on frequency response relative to where you are. Would love some advice, thanks!
Re: Best place to put subwoofer [message #66362 is a reply to message #66350] Sun, 27 February 2011 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
This is a good question and is something I am interested in as well. We haven't given it a lot of thought, other than ensuring nothing is crowding the subwoofer and that there is open space around it. I had not thought of position, though, in relation to the speakers themselves. We didn't think that made much difference.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Multisubs [message #66367 is a reply to message #66362] Sun, 27 February 2011 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Do a search for "multisub". The idea is to use multiple subs to smooth room modes, making the bass sound good throughout the room. That's the best way to setup subs, but it does require more than one.

If you have only one sub, it will sound different at various places in the room. One thing you can do, if you are only interested in making it sound good at one spot, is to put the sub where your listening chair is and walk around the room listening (or measuring) to find the smoothest response. When you find it, put the sub there.

Re: Best place to put subwoofer [message #66387 is a reply to message #66350] Mon, 28 February 2011 08:29 Go to previous message
SiliconChip is currently offline  SiliconChip
Chancellor
Yes, I can see why multisubs would evenly disperse the sound around the room. I've only got one sub at the moment, but may get more than one for my future setup.
Previous Topic: Speakers behind microphone
Next Topic: Speakers on Sand?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:59:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout