Home » Audio » Speaker » Old speaker or amp that's creating noise?
Old speaker or amp that's creating noise? [message #66347] Sun, 27 February 2011 06:02 Go to next message
SiliconChip is currently offline  SiliconChip
Chancellor
I've got a pair of old speakers. They're encased in a wooden frame (2 separate ones) and there is absolutely no model name or any information written anywhere on them so I can't tell you much more about them. I have an old JVC Amp connected to them, which in turn is connected to the audio out on my PC. Anyway, every now and then there will be an annoying popping/static type background noise, and I've no idea whether I need new speakers, or a new amp. Could the wiring connections be causing this problem, maybe?
Re: Old speaker or amp that's creating noise? [message #66359 is a reply to message #66347] Sun, 27 February 2011 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Gently push on the speaker's cone and make sure they don't sound like they are full of broken glass.

If that isn't it, I would look at the dials (potentiometers) and move them around a little to see if you can reproduce the noise. The noise you describe is the classic balance slider's metal leads wearing thin.

Re: Old speaker or amp that's creating noise? [message #66384 is a reply to message #66347] Mon, 28 February 2011 08:18 Go to previous message
SiliconChip is currently offline  SiliconChip
Chancellor
Thanks for the info. It looks like I might need to pull the speakers out of their box then - not a simple task without damaging the timber. I think there are a few screws on the back, but I'm not sure if it'll be that easy. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.
Previous Topic: The Bigger the Better?
Next Topic: Just a friendly remind about sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:47:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout