Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Audition in Austin
Re: Audition in Austin [message #71972 is a reply to message #66232] Fri, 30 March 2012 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick77 is currently offline  Nick77
Baron
Here is the pair of bad boys, one driver is a little lighter in color than the other. It appears one has a protective coating and the other doesnt. Is the exact product available to treat the other driver??

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g295/mrnick_2006/pi4003-4.jpg
Re: Audition in Austin [message #71973 is a reply to message #71972] Fri, 30 March 2012 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Cones that have been exposed to sunlight get lighter in color like that. I've seen 'em turn almost white. It doesn't have to be direct sublight either - They'll get lighter even if they're exposed to indirect sunlight long enough, like in a sunroom or in a car. I suspect that's all that has happened, and I wouldn't be concerned if that's all that appears different.

But when in doubt, check it out - there are lots of cheap recones out there that look just like genuine parts but don't measure anywhere close.

Do not apply anything to either cone to change its color. If you do, you risk ruining the driver. It may look better, but it also may measure worse. You can't apply a product to the surface without changing the characteristics of the cone. There's nothing about that cone I want to change, so don't do it.

If the difference in color is bothersome, I might be inclined to expose the darker one to sunlight for a while until its color matches. This is a long process though, so if that's not something you want to do, just take 'em both to a place to see about reconing. They'll probably only have to do one, but it wouldn''t hurt to have them both checked. If you don't know who to trust, call David Miller at Speakerworks. He'll get you fixed up.

Re: Audition in Austin [message #71980 is a reply to message #66232] Sat, 31 March 2012 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well I can repeat what I often read, boy these get loud!

I still have caps breaking in and all but I am quite pleased with what I am hearing. They have a very big sound, I can't hardly imagine supplimenting with bass for music. They sound great by themselves. Smile There is certainly an absense of distortion I am both getting used to and enjoying.

I will check back with a little more hours on these. Do the ports go on the inside or out?

Big thanks to Wayne for a great design!!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g295/mrnick_2006/pi4003-5.jpg
Re: Audition in Austin [message #71982 is a reply to message #71980] Sat, 31 March 2012 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It doesn't matter much what side the port is on, and I've run 'em both ways. In most of my speakers, it actually doesn't matter at all, but I like running the ports on the outside. Mostly, I think it looks better that way. I've run four π's that way too, but in truth, it's probably marginally better than the ports be inboard on these.

The offset tweeter throws the forward lobe slightly at a diagonal. Centerline of the forward lobe is still straight out in front, but the outside edges of the forward lobe are +/-25° on an arc that passes through the woofer and tweeter centerline. So that makes the upper null slightly offset one way and the lower null slightly offset the other. If the tweeter is outboard, then so is the upper null. That is good for "aiming" the ceiling slap away from the listeners.

...This is such butterfly wings flapping minutia you shouldn't care either way. You definitely can't hear the difference. But if you're a perfectionist, then that's probably the best way to set 'em up. You can get out the slide rule and the LMS measurements system and satisfy yourself that this is the better way. Smile

Re: Audition in Austin [message #72058 is a reply to message #71982] Sun, 08 April 2012 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well I finally tired of sitting on the floor and threw together some stands. Ahhhhhh now were talking, sounding really goood!!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g295/mrnick_2006/pi4001-4.jpg
Re: Audition in Austin [message #72066 is a reply to message #72058] Mon, 09 April 2012 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent! Looks great!

Re: Audition in Austin [message #72640 is a reply to message #71681] Wed, 09 May 2012 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
I didn't know there was an option between the three or two nuts. I used the three holes, and could not get the nut on with washers on first. I ended up just putting the nut on by itself and tightened it as hard as I could with needle nose pliers. Will my solution present issues in the future?
Re: Audition in Austin [message #72642 is a reply to message #72640] Wed, 09 May 2012 13:40 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, that's fine. It's just harder to get the nuts on the studs using the three-hole pattern mounts.

Previous Topic: 4pi vs 3pi plans
Next Topic: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 14:49:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout