Home » Audio » Speaker » The Bigger the Better?
The Bigger the Better? [message #66216] Sat, 19 February 2011 16:31 Go to next message
MusicDiva is currently offline  MusicDiva
Baron
I don't know why people think the bigger their speakers are, the better they are. There are a few people I know that have these speakers that are huge, sure, but they sound terrible.
Re: The Bigger the Better? [message #66224 is a reply to message #66216] Sun, 20 February 2011 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

See "Hoffman's Iron Law".

Re: The Bigger the Better? [message #66237 is a reply to message #66216] Mon, 21 February 2011 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It really depends on the speaker and associated amps, but bigger speaker enclosures generally make for better reproduction of lower frequency sounds. Of course, it doesn't necessarily follow that the speaker will sound good.
Re: The Bigger the Better? [message #66263 is a reply to message #66237] Wed, 23 February 2011 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When a couple who has never been to our house before walks into the family room, the guy usually stops to stare at my 6' 6" line arrays and says something like "Man, you must like to play your music loud" or "you must like a lot of bass", both of which are wrong. I just like my music to sound undistorted at room filling volumes.

The woman usually says something like this this to my wife: "You let him have those things in this beautiful house"? I have trained her to reply "Yes, size does matter, and I like a big one". Very Happy

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Speakers/132721_wacsQ#23808918_Sr3FG

Re: The Bigger the Better? [message #66270 is a reply to message #66216] Wed, 23 February 2011 07:20 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've had these for almost 20 years now.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=1120&bih=615&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=technics+sb+a26&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I don't really care what shortcomings they have because I can correct it before it even hits the speakers.

I think might upgrade them to Cerwin Vega XLS-215's one day though. The advantage is that they get down to 24hz, while mine get down to 35hz. They stop at 20Khz, while mine stop at 40Khz. I am pretty sure some crossover surgery can get them to pass 20-40Khz though the tweeter.

Again. If you insist on amplifying the original source to line level, then sending through a power amp untouched, big nasty loudspeakers might not be for you. But if you have a half-dozen processors that can make a signal as flat or as coloured as you want it, the speaker size becomes a limitation if they are too small.

Previous Topic: Speakers in the Wall
Next Topic: Old speaker or amp that's creating noise?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:36:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio