Home » Audio » Source » please don't do this to your vinyl
please don't do this to your vinyl [message #66208] Sat, 19 February 2011 05:13 Go to next message
Nevermind is currently offline  Nevermind
Chancellor
A buddy of mine was showing off some of his old vinyl to me recently and we decided to have a listen to The White Album. When he put the record on the turntable I gasped when I saw that he had a dime taped to the tone arm.

WHY oh WHY would someone do this? Yes, it does prevent the needle from skipping, but it also adds too much weight to the stylus and it will eat away at your records. If you care about your records at all please for the love of all that is holy, don't tape a coin to your tone arm. If your player is that old, get a new one with adjustable weights for the tracking.

That is all.
Re: please don't do this to your vinyl [message #66290 is a reply to message #66208] Thu, 24 February 2011 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I cringe when I see that and then gently explain why it's a bad idea. The person usually has no idea and will take the coin off because they don't want to ruin their vinyl either.
Re: please don't do this to your vinyl [message #66292 is a reply to message #66290] Thu, 24 February 2011 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofer is currently offline  woofer
Chancellor
I remember seeing a lot of people doing this back in the day. I didn't know that it would damage the vinyl, however. I wonder how many records were ruined because of that? Now I'm the only one I know that still has a turntable and I'll be sure never to do that.
Re: please don't do this to your vinyl [message #66385 is a reply to message #66208] Mon, 28 February 2011 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SiliconChip is currently offline  SiliconChip
Chancellor
We used to have a turntable where the head-shell would come off. Not a very reliable unit, though I don't think it caused any damage. We couldn't listen to our records anymore, though. If I'd kept all my vinyl albums, I'd probably buy a new turntable, but alas I no longer have them.
Re: please don't do this to your vinyl [message #66725 is a reply to message #66385] Mon, 21 March 2011 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wuzajock is currently offline  Wuzajock
Chancellor
Yep, we all used to do that in radio stations as vinyl wore out pretty quickly there. And they ALL had cue burn at the beginning. Records were spun, by hand, to the first note of the song, then backspun a quarter turn. This assured that when the turntable was started, the music was there 1 second later. However, it surely ruined the record and caused it to hiss eventually.
Re: please don't do this to your vinyl [message #66728 is a reply to message #66725] Mon, 21 March 2011 20:46 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wonder if a silver coin sounds better than a copper coin. Ditto for a pure gold coin. My wife has an 1881 gold dollar. I'll try it on my VPI Classic and will report back. Laughing
Previous Topic: Buying vinyl and stylus
Next Topic: MP3 Radio Converter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:25:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout