Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » re-capping vintage amps
re-capping vintage amps [message #8612] Mon, 13 December 2004 13:14 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Gentlemen, I am learning (or trying too!) to re-cap some old amps---but if I can not find the exact same values which do I change to replace the old cap?---example: 40 uF 150v-- I can get 47 uf and 150v or 40uF and 200v's----the hard ones so far are the 600v caps---almost the highest voltage is 500v's---- Jim

Re: re-capping vintage amps [message #8613 is a reply to message #8612] Mon, 13 December 2004 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Jim, Sure the 47uf will work fine. See Angela at the link below. They have a good selection of capacitors at 600 volt and up to 1000 volts. Have fun and be careful when working on your amps. Also for more exotic caps Ron Welborne is having a sale. But if I am right these caps are quite big. I have no connection to Ron W' except that I own 2 pairs of his DRD amps. The angela caps should work fine for you. I have used the Sequa paper in oil caps in my Dynaco ST-70 amplifier with very good results. John C.

Re: re-capping vintage amps [message #8615 is a reply to message #8613] Tue, 14 December 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
John, thanks for the info and the link!---Oh and the mental headach too!---there is no end to the learning curve! aluminium or tin or copper ???? Black Cat or Orange Drop? But the web site had a lot to read up on so it's back to the books! Nevertheless, I think this is what makes this "hobby" so very addicting! I thought I was obcessing a bit but then I read your comment---not one pair but 2? What? a back up just incase? Earthquakes, natural disasters?--How many moonpies ya got in that icebox bud? Me, I only have 9 amps---and I justify them that it's the only way I can tune my ears ! thanks more questions later Jim

Re: re-capping vintage amps [message #8617 is a reply to message #8612] Wed, 15 December 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gary Kaufman is currently offline  Gary Kaufman
Esquire
Jim -

Why not give us a specific example of an amp you are trying to recap? I'm sure we can give you a better idea of possible part selections.

Remember that most electrolytics are -30%/+70% at best. There is really no difference between a 40uf and 47uf cap. Also voltage ratings are minimum - it's fine to go higher.

If you find yourself recapping vintage gear often, consider getting one of the older cap checkers. My favorite is the Heathkit IT-11/IT-28, but the Eico 950B or Sprague's are also very nice. They let you measure leakage at up to 600vdc - and are perfect for reforming older electrolytic types.

- Gary

Re: re-capping vintage amps [message #8618 is a reply to message #8617] Wed, 15 December 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey Gary; glad you found us. I have the crossover board and as soon as I finish some other stuff I will be building it into a pair of Pi 4's. Very nice work I may add.

Re: re-capping vintage amps [message #8619 is a reply to message #8617] Wed, 15 December 2004 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I made a Spice model of the Bench crossover your PCB is based on.

6DJ8 Tube Crossover

I put a few more components in the circuit model to provide horn compensation, but the Spice model is easy to modify for whatever crossover points and what-not. The OrCad schematic that the model uses is nice too. I don't know if you're interested, but if so, feel free to link it on your website.

Re: re-capping vintage amps [message #8620 is a reply to message #8615] Thu, 16 December 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Jim, a tip here on high voltage caps: If you can't find say, a 20uF/600V cap, then two 40uF/450V caps in series will give you 20uF at about 650 0r so volts maximum rating. Remember that series caps always add in reciprocals. C = 1/(1/C1)+(1/C2).

For example, you have a 20uF and a 35uF cap in series.
1/20 = .05
1/35 = .02857
.05 + .02857 = .07857
1/.07857 = 12.7uF

The series capacitance will always be smaller than the lesser of the two caps' values. The voltage rating is exponentially increased as well. For series caps with the same voltage rating, I personally wouldn't exceed around 75% of the combined voltage rating in use.

If the series caps have the same capacitance, then dividing the common value of the caps by 2 is easier than using the formula. For example, two 20uF caps in series equals 10uF. If you have the room in the chassis for the big guys, Solen FastCaps have a 630V rating and performance wise will eat aluminum electrolytics for lunch.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Thermionic

Re: re-capping vintage amps [message #8621 is a reply to message #8618] Thu, 16 December 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I also have the boards, I was going to build 4 Pis, but now have the drivers to build the three way 7 Pi with the mid horn, so i don't guess I'll use them for that. But it looks like a handy device to have around.

Russellc

Re: re-capping vintage amps [message #8622 is a reply to message #8620] Thu, 16 December 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thermionic---So much info in so little space! But I do thank you for your post---really is a lot easier to find the same sizes---especially for intergrate or recievers---too much stuff under there!!---now I am learning that not all caps have to been connected red /black---or hot/cold----but have to be careflul as there are several that have very small arrows telling the direction of the install---and I gave up golf for a relaxing hobby??? Now I know I can justify more than one system! JD

Re: re-capping vintage amps [message #8623 is a reply to message #8621] Thu, 16 December 2004 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Did you stuff them yet?

Previous Topic: Nickel Wonder Line Stage
Next Topic: How about "Single Ended Forum"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:19:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio