Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Book Recommendations?
Book Recommendations? [message #66180] Fri, 18 February 2011 13:31 Go to next message
falloutgirl
Baron
Spring break is coming up and I really want to catch up on my reading. What are some good books I could read? I'm a big fan of the Harry Potter series and I enjoy YA books like I Am Number Four, The Hunger Games Trilogy. Currently I'm reading Game of Thrones. Are there any books similar to what I mentioned that anyone could recommend?Smile Thanks!!
Re: Book Recommendations? [message #66193 is a reply to message #66180] Fri, 18 February 2011 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
Who doesn't love the Harry Potter books?! Everyone I know does! A good book that I just recently read was Angela's Ashes. I'm not sure if that would interest you or not, but thought that I would throw the suggestion out anyway.
Re: Book Recommendations? [message #66268 is a reply to message #66193] Wed, 23 February 2011 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
falloutgirl
Baron
Some people I know don't like Harry Potter and declared Twilight to be much better. Shocked Shocked

Anyway, I'll check that book out!! What genre is it? I hope they have it in our local library!
Re: Book Recommendations? [message #66283 is a reply to message #66180] Wed, 23 February 2011 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenny76 is currently offline  Jenny76
Chancellor
Why don't you check out Amazon.com. You can view all of the top selling books right now. That's where I find book recommendations. Or, you can search for books you own and see what books people like that also liked those books Smile
Re: Book Recommendations? [message #66403 is a reply to message #66180] Tue, 01 March 2011 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miss zoey
Baron
Since you like YA literature like Hunger Games and Harry Potter, you should read The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. The first book is kindov meh but the next books are great. The next book in the series is coming out on May. The first book is called "The Alchemyst" I highly recommend them.
Re: Book Recommendations? [message #66483 is a reply to message #66180] Fri, 04 March 2011 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GuitarStrings is currently offline  GuitarStrings
Baron
I keep reminding myself to look for the Hunger Games series but I always forget! I've heard only good things about it, so maybe I can get me a copy at the library when I'm not so busy. If you like horror or thriller novels, I recommend anything b Stephen King or Dean Koontz. Both are amazing authors and I even favor Koontz a little more, just because he is really great at developing likeable characters.

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

Re: Book Recommendations? [message #66494 is a reply to message #66180] Fri, 04 March 2011 12:17 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy are the pinnacle of American Literature in my opinion. The author uses his voice to give an encyclopedic description of whatever he wants you to notice. Those books took him the exact amount of time between their release, which is somewhere around 7-8 years and it really shines through. Thomas Harris is a master with words. The books, like so many movies, display the story the author intended.

Except for Hannibal Rising. He was basically forced to write the book. Thomas was given two options: Write the story himself in a very compressed time-frame or the studio would hire someone else. The results were something less than masterful. I say that book is definitely part of the story but not part of the canon, if that makes sense.

If you liked "TSOTL" and "Manhunter" movies than this is in the same tone and feel. Although "Hannibal" was made into a movie too, it changed the ending of the whole trilogy and did not tell the book's story very well. Again, "Hannibal Rising" was made to cash in (not by Harris) and "Red Dragon" was mediocre compared to "Manhunter"

The three books are:

Red Dragon
The Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal

Previous Topic: More Expensive Is Always Better
Next Topic: Getting ready for the big day
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:56:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio