Home » Audio » Craftsmen » High-Pass Filter
High-Pass Filter [message #66172] Fri, 18 February 2011 09:07 Go to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Alright, so I noticed something playing with a band.

The speaker excursion of my all-in-one PA system is very high. The 5-band EQ on the thing only goes down to 250hz and I suspect that frequencies below that are responsible. I have a bass-heavy voice, even when singing well above middle-C and a heavy attack and am concerned it is going to blow the amp or the speaker. The clip meter comes on at the height of the attack and not really at any other time. I am pretty sure it wouldn't be clipping at all if I could tame the low-end and then I can get the full wattage of the system.

Does anyone know the values of the capacitor and the resistor I would need to make a 200hz high-pass filter off the top of their head that I could wire directly into the microphone's shell?

A windscreen is simply not going to be good enough.

Re: High-Pass Filter [message #66182 is a reply to message #66172] Fri, 18 February 2011 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you want just a simple RC filter (first-order), make the shunt resistance equal to the source resistance and set capacitive reactance of the series capacitor equal to that at the frequency where you want crossover. Capacitive reactance (Xc) = 1/2πfC. Since you want to find capacitance where reactance is known, use this formula instead: C = 1/2πfXc. Capacitive reactance (Xc) is in ohms and (f) is frequency in Hertz. Capacitance (C) is in Farads, so it will be very small. Remember that uF is x10-6 and pF is x10-12.

Re: High-Pass Filter [message #66199 is a reply to message #66182] Fri, 18 February 2011 20:07 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for reminding me of the formulas. This is a good opportunity to exercise some engineering notation.

Previous Topic: Don't want to mess with the carpet...
Next Topic: lubricants for audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:24:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout