Home » Audio » Radio » Collecting Radios as a Hobby
Collecting Radios as a Hobby [message #66157] Thu, 17 February 2011 17:36 Go to next message
GuitarStrings is currently offline  GuitarStrings
Baron
This is something I've come to learn more about from my Dad. He has had some of the best luck, finding old radios at yard sales, restoring them if they aren't working, and then proceeding to add them to his collection. There is one really nice radio that he was able to get for $5. Perfect condition. An Emerson-something, I forgot the model number.

In any case, he always has plenty of radios should we ever need one. I believe the working count consists of 10 working radios and 2 in-the-works for being restored.

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

Re: Collecting Radios as a Hobby [message #66192 is a reply to message #66157] Fri, 18 February 2011 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
Does he fix them and listen to them? Or fix them and sell them? Or take them to shows? Or just fix them and admire them? It's true that old radios are often found at ridiculously low prices at tag sales - people don't know what to do with them!
Re: Collecting Radios as a Hobby [message #66205 is a reply to message #66157] Fri, 18 February 2011 21:27 Go to previous message
GuitarStrings is currently offline  GuitarStrings
Baron
Most of the radios are used since he's the sort the believes that every room should have a radio handy more than anything else. The older ones though are only occasionally used though, and are mostly just cleaned up and put on a shelf for viewing in his hobby room.

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

Previous Topic: The Lone Ranger
Next Topic: Long Distance Signals
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:25:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers