Home » Audio » Radio » I miss when AM radio was cool
I miss when AM radio was cool [message #66149] Thu, 17 February 2011 05:52 Go to next message
Nevermind is currently offline  Nevermind
Chancellor
"Wanna get down in a cool way
Picture yourself on a beautiful day
Big bell bottoms and groovy long hair
Just walkin' in style with a portable CD player, NO!
You would listen to the music on the AM radio
Yeah, you could hear the music on a AM radio"

So is it only me and Everclear on this one?

I remember waiting all day to hear my favorite song, I didn't care that it wasn't in stereo. I didn't care that the station didn't always come in clearly. We were all poor back then and we couldn't afford the record (or 8track) so we'd just listen to the AM radio, and wait.

Re: I miss when AM radio was cool [message #66158 is a reply to message #66149] Thu, 17 February 2011 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenny76 is currently offline  Jenny76
Chancellor
8tracks are a little before my time but I have listened to AM radio here and there. I was introduced first to FM, so listening to AM was a complete shock to me. However, there were some cool talk shows and things like that I ran across.
Re: I miss when AM radio was cool [message #66295 is a reply to message #66149] Thu, 24 February 2011 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofer is currently offline  woofer
Chancellor
We did have an 8-track system, both in the house and the car, so yes, clearly I am old. I never really listened much to AM radio for music though. Did used to listen for news and talk radio shows but music I always listened to on whatever the current system I had.
Re: I miss when AM radio was cool [message #66354 is a reply to message #66158] Sun, 27 February 2011 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nevermind is currently offline  Nevermind
Chancellor
Jenny, When I was young, things were reversed. AM was the station where you could hear the music and FM was for the talk! Then when everything started being in stereo FM could do stereo and AM couldn't so all the music moved to FM and the talking moved to AM.
Re: I miss when AM radio was cool [message #67121 is a reply to message #66354] Tue, 19 April 2011 19:59 Go to previous message
Wuzajock is currently offline  Wuzajock
Chancellor
I remember it quite well, Nevermind. Those were the real prime days of radio actually. The announcers were professionally trained and licensed. Transistor radios, when they came out were the coolest, and the only way to hear music on the beach or park. It seemed like an all day wait for your favorite song, but I'm sure the jocks got sick of them for playing them every 2 hours or so. Hahahaha, those were great days indeed.
Previous Topic: Too much talk!
Next Topic: Airline Radio/Record player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:34:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout