Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Don't want to mess with the carpet...
Don't want to mess with the carpet... [message #66097] Sat, 12 February 2011 19:20 Go to next message
MusicDiva is currently offline  MusicDiva
Baron
We have so many wires running through our house. I'm fine with it because no one really comes over and it's never caused a problem; that is, until now. We have a child living with us and he's getting big enough to where he wants to mess with things. We also have a little dog currently living with us and I'm worried he's going to chew on the wires. Putting the wires underneath the carpet is just a hassle because we live in an apartment and I don't want to mess something up and end up having to pay for it later. Also, the wires are way too short to put them up on the wall... I'm running out of ideas here.

I can't tell you how many times people have tripped over our internet chord lol.

So, my question for you is: does putting the wires under the carpet really ruin it or should it be fine? We only have three months left in our lease so if I can't do it, then that's fine but it's just driving us all crazy lol.
Re: Don't want to mess with the carpet... [message #66104 is a reply to message #66097] Sun, 13 February 2011 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It will be fine. You pretty much can't short out wire 18 gauge and under the way you can fold a 24 gauge wire and it will break internally.

Get speaker wire that has clear insulation. That stuff is hard like plastic and not soft like rubber and really difficult to break. It is not brittle at all like some of the harder cheap black insulation. I'm talking about Radioshack's brand if you wanna know where to find it.

Re: Don't want to mess with the carpet... [message #66168 is a reply to message #66097] Fri, 18 February 2011 05:08 Go to previous message
Nevermind is currently offline  Nevermind
Chancellor
If the carpet has a very low pile you can tape on top of the carpet or just lay an additional small area rug on top of the wires.
Previous Topic: Tape or what?
Next Topic: High-Pass Filter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:36:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout