Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Speakers behind microphone (Speaker placement)
Speakers behind microphone [message #66095] Sat, 12 February 2011 15:22 Go to next message
Firstknight is currently offline  Firstknight
Esquire
Hi...This will probably sound strange but try and stay with me....WE are currently arguing about speaker placement in our hall...(note - none of us has any official training / expertise)

The "experts" are adamant that the speakers should be placed at the front of the stage to eliminate any feedback problems from microphones on stage ....I know this makes sense....The problem is the speakers block the view of the stage and look out of place.

The users of the sound system believe the speakers are better placed at the rear of the stage...I know this sounds wrong....however the speakers look neater, the sound is clearer, AND can be pushed louder before feedback occurs than if they are placed at the front of the stage.

Is there any reason the speakers cannot be placed at the rear of the stage???? Everything seems to work better if they are placed here.
Re: Speakers behind microphone [message #66096 is a reply to message #66095] Sat, 12 February 2011 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicDiva is currently offline  MusicDiva
Baron
Thinking about concerts that I've been to, I've always seen the speakers towards the front. If I'm remembering correctly, if they were more towards the back, they are usually up higher. What about putting the speakers on the left and right of the stage? Maybe they could be sitting on top of something or hanging from the ceiling if that is at all possible.
Re: Speakers behind microphone [message #66099 is a reply to message #66096] Sun, 13 February 2011 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstknight is currently offline  Firstknight
Esquire
We have tried speaker to the far right and Far left of the stage and found people in the front rows were distracted by the "image" of noise from the side but looking at the person straight ahead.

Hanging the speakers from the roof is difficult because they interfere with the projector screens on each side of the room.

Currently the speaker are high and central to the room. This position is contributing to feedback problems when we hire out the hall and people hold the microphone against their chest (despite being told to hold it up and speak into it).

The main issue I guess we are dealing with is balancing the audio quality with the visual presentation. These two issues are conflicting with each other in terms of speaker placement.

Re: Speakers behind microphone [message #66105 is a reply to message #66095] Sun, 13 February 2011 20:38 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If you are using these things for voice the following should be done to put an end to feedback.

Lower the bass. make a "B" or "P" into the mic and make sure it clips on the meter to be loud enough. See that it is not "boomy" sounding. This is the loudest signal you can put through an amp/PA in my experience. This sound will clip when nothing else will. The clip meter can be blinking constantly and it won't really affect the sound.

Roll off the High frequencies. This will stop feedback. anything above 4Khz is useless for the voice unless recording an album through a condenser mic. We sense direction at 12Khz and we have a huge spike in our hearing at this frequency, so make sure this frequency is virtually muted. It will make the speaker disappear from the audiences perception.

There are also things like this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/feedback-suppression-signal-processors-pro-audio?N=100001+338418&Ns=P_Price|0&rpp=20

I'm not addressing the speaker placement because feedback should only be happening with the mic pointed at the speaker and your problem extends beyond that, which is not a speaker placement issue.

Previous Topic: Pipe In Music
Next Topic: Best place to put subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:53:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout