Home » Audio » Home Theater » Loud Background Music But Soft Voice
Loud Background Music But Soft Voice [message #65942] Wed, 02 February 2011 11:40 Go to next message
Jorel is currently offline  Jorel
Baron
I have this problem when I'm watching at night. The music of the movies I'm watching is louder than the voice so I constantly turn the volume down when the music comes up. This is especially true with horror or suspense movies.
"Phantom Center" mode [message #65944 is a reply to message #65942] Wed, 02 February 2011 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a pretty common symptom when using the 5 channel soundtrack but listening only to the left and right fronts. Sometimes the dialog is heavily panned to the center with little going to the left and right.

Look and see if your A/V processor (or DVD/BluRay player) has a settings mode where you can tell it you have no center speaker. It will then send the center track out to the left and right speakers. This is sometimes called "phantom center" mode.

Re: Loud Background Music But Soft Voice [message #65945 is a reply to message #65942] Wed, 02 February 2011 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne is right.

If this is a cable box problem, go into the settings and tell the cable box you are using stereo. You might be watching something that is in 5.1 and it is not downmixing the signal.

Are you using the TV speakers? Or is it a receiver/amp connected to the cable box/disc player?

Re: Loud Background Music But Soft Voice [message #65959 is a reply to message #65942] Thu, 03 February 2011 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
Thanks for the explanation Wayne and Adveser. I had that happen a few times also and hand no idea what could be causing the problem. We have had occasional problems with our speakers, so this sounds like a good check to make in the future.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Loud Background Music But Soft Voice [message #65974 is a reply to message #65942] Fri, 04 February 2011 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorel is currently offline  Jorel
Baron
Good to know that I can fix this problem. I will try to look for the setup of my player if I can remove the center speaker.

How will I know that I have the correct setup? My speaker can produce sound like a train coming from the left of the speaker then leaving on the right.
Re: Loud Background Music But Soft Voice [message #65976 is a reply to message #65974] Fri, 04 February 2011 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's right when it can do that and when you can hear dialog at a normal level.

Re: Loud Background Music But Soft Voice [message #65980 is a reply to message #65974] Fri, 04 February 2011 12:47 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Jorel wrote on Thu, 03 February 2011 23:28
Good to know that I can fix this problem. I will try to look for the setup of my player if I can remove the center speaker.

How will I know that I have the correct setup? My speaker can produce sound like a train coming from the left of the speaker then leaving on the right.

Stick your copy of Highlander or any of the Star Wars DVDs in the player and select the THX logo.

Previous Topic: Adding external speakers to bedroom TV
Next Topic: I miss it!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:49:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout