Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Tape or what?
Tape or what? [message #65876] Sat, 29 January 2011 15:44 Go to next message
Hoptoit is currently offline  Hoptoit
Baron
I want to bundle all the wires together and run them down the wall. I also have to run a cable wire under the carpet to get to the other side of the room. Should I use tape or what to make them all stay together and hidden?
Re: Tape or what? [message #65883 is a reply to message #65876] Sat, 29 January 2011 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Since you are doing that, you might consider twisting the wires together loosely so they create a magnetic field that will eliminate Electromagnetic interferance. I'm not going to claim this does a whole lot to improve things, but it's yet another paranoid idea audiophiles have that I like to do. It works marvelously in Ethernet cables, so why not speaker wire?

Yeah, tape will do fine as long as it isn't made of any sort of metal, which doesn't make sense anyway. Personally I think masking tape works better than electrical tape in almost every instance and is just as much of an insulator, so long as it isn't wet and isn't being used to seal out moisture. Use 3M tape if you wanna go that route, it does not leave goop or any other crap anywhere where it "used to be." You can pay 4 dollars a roll now or pay more later when the tape gets all over everything.

Smile

Re: Tape or what? [message #65892 is a reply to message #65883] Sun, 30 January 2011 12:46 Go to previous message
Jorel is currently offline  Jorel
Baron
Adveser wrote on Sat, 29 January 2011 16:24
Personally I think masking tape works better than electrical tape in almost every instance and is just as much of an insulator, so long as it isn't wet and isn't being used to seal out moisture.

Now I don't the real explanation to this but it doesn't really matter. My experience with masking tape is that the stickiness will be gone after some time. Unlike with electrical tape that sticks to the wires for a very long time.

Twisting the wires together is good idea even though it won't improve anything because you will have a neat and clean setup.
Previous Topic: Building Your Own Speakers
Next Topic: Don't want to mess with the carpet...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 05:18:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio