Home » Audio » Speaker » Speakers in the Wall
Speakers in the Wall [message #65816] Sun, 23 January 2011 17:43 Go to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
When we moved into our home there were two speakers mounted inside the living room wall at a 10 foot spread. Since we have our own theater system, we never tried to use these speakers, though my husband checked and they still have wires attached. We have been thinking about incorporating them into our surround sound system that includes 5 speakers. My guess is that we would need a separate subwoofer for the wall speakers right? Also, our living room measures 16 x 13. Would this be too much sound for this size room?

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Speakers in the Wall [message #65817 is a reply to message #65816] Sun, 23 January 2011 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Random layouts almost never work out well. You can definitely put speakers in the walls, and it can be done to very good effect. But just grabbing a couple that were already there and using them in conjunction with other speakers could really screw you up.

I suggest studying recommended placements and the radiation pattern of various speaker types. There are some things that work well together and some things that don't.

Re: Speakers in the Wall [message #65866 is a reply to message #65816] Fri, 28 January 2011 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
I suggest you use the wall-mounted speakers independently of your 5.1 speaker system. If they sound good, you can use them as an alternate speaker system to be used for videoke, watching news (you don't really need a 5.1 for that, do you?) and the like. For that you would need a audio output selector.
Re: Speakers in the Wall [message #66196 is a reply to message #65816] Fri, 18 February 2011 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
I see you posted this topic a few weeks ago. I am just curious as to what you actually decided to do with the speakers that were already in your wall. Did you use them or did you ditch them?
Re: Speakers in the Wall [message #66213 is a reply to message #65816] Sat, 19 February 2011 13:20 Go to previous message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
We're going to use them as Jazzlover suggested, which will be as an alternate set for watching the weekly TV shows. They are better than the TV speakers and they sit on each side of the TV set, so this will enhance the sound without overkill, just for regular viewing.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Previous Topic: Cheap, new speakers
Next Topic: The Bigger the Better?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:48:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers