Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 pi plans, please
4 pi plans, please [message #65772] Thu, 20 January 2011 11:05 Go to next message
dryfly_6x is currently offline  dryfly_6x
Esquire
Hi Wayne:

would you please send me the plans for the 4 pi speakers? Also, I have a pair of Radian 475 1" compression drivers. Would any mods be necessary to use these? Thanks for your help
Re: 4 pi with alternate compression drivers [message #65773 is a reply to message #65772] Thu, 20 January 2011 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't know if you can use Radian 475 compression drivers, I haven't tried them. But my experience with 1" exit compression drivers is their differences fall largely in two categories: 1. Voltage sensitivity and 2. Breakup modes in the top octave. There are technically other things that can be different, like diaphragm mass and front chamber and phase plug differences. But these two things seem to be pretty much the same between modern compression drivers, with notable exception being beryllium diaphragms having a slight edge in terms of mass rolloff.

Digging a little deeper, the differences in breakup and voltage sensitivity are diaphragm/voice coil dependent. A lower impedance gives higher voltage sensitivity, so you may need to adjust R1/R2 values. You can see this in the two drivers I use - the PSD2002 has slightly lower voltage sensitivity than the DE250 and so R1/R2 values pad it more. Titanium diaphragms tend to have some peaking in the top octave, which sometimes makes them "look" like they don't have as much mass rolloff. You gain some extra sparkle at the top end but at the expense of having a little more jagged response.

Sometimes, reducing the value of C1 or removing it entirely is warranted if the breakup peaks are strong. I've even seen a few cases where shunt capacitance (across the driver) was needed, which is why there is a position called "C1-alt" on my crossover boards. It provides a place to put shunt capacitance in place of bypass capacitance. It reduces top octave output rather than augmenting it. So you can manipulate the R1/R2/C1 (or C1-alt) values to support just about any compression driver.

As an aside, this crossover topology has proven to support just about any compression driver on a constant directivity horn. It has been adopted on virtually every CD horn/waveguide speaker out there. I've even seen it used on some horns that don't provide constant directivity, which clearly wasn't its purpose, but the ease of manipulating the R1/R2/C1 values to suit any transfer function desired makes it a pretty attractive choice. However, I must say that while you can use it to tailor the transfer function to provide reasonable response from a compression driver with a lot of breakup, I myself would suggest selecting another driver. If a driver has too much peaking up high, it sounds fatiguing to me even if the crossover is configured to make the response fairly flat. So keep that in mind when selecting compression drivers.

A quick look at the Radian 475 spec sheet leads me to believe it doesn't have shrill breakup, and probably will work very well as a drop-in replacement. So don't take my comments about breakup to be directed at that driver specifically. It is more a general observation on various drivers, and I mention it mostly for other readers that might be contemplating other compression drivers.

Re: 4 pi with alternate compression drivers [message #65775 is a reply to message #65773] Thu, 20 January 2011 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks, Wayne. I've got Soundeasy (and know how to use it) so if I decide to go ahead with the build, I'll just measure and tweak. That is a lot of the fun anyway Smile
Re: 4 pi with alternate compression drivers [message #65776 is a reply to message #65775] Thu, 20 January 2011 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent. I have a feeling it will work well with the R1/R2/C1 values used with the DE250. But it will be good to verify that with measurements.

Re: 4 pi with alternate compression drivers [message #65809 is a reply to message #65776] Sun, 23 January 2011 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi Wayne:

been studying the plans /crossover and have a few questions: any need to recess drivers? any strong preference between mdf and baltic birch for cabinets?

I assume from the 3rd order topology that the crossover is something close to a LR4. is this to reduce sensitivity to driver acoustic center offsets? Thanks
Re: 4 pi with alternate compression drivers [message #65814 is a reply to message #65809] Sun, 23 January 2011 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, acoustically the crossover is pretty close to a 4/4. The main thing we're looking for is a clean forward lobe with the center pretty much straight forward and vertical nulls approximately equally spaced above and below the speaker, outside the horn's vertical pattern at HF. More info below:
The page at the second link contains several threads specifically about the crossover design. Check out the ones about baffle spacing, phase angles, etc. Also the one called "Crossover optimization for DI-matched two-way speakers", which describes the exact optimization process, even showing a video.

About the driver recess, I like doing it because I think it is attractive although there is no acoustic benefit or penalty either way. On the wood, I like to use MDF on boxes smaller than about 4-5 cubic feet unless they'll be transported a lot or used in humid environments. Larger boxes I prefer to be baltic birch.

Re: 4 pi with alternate compression drivers [message #73119 is a reply to message #65814] Sun, 24 June 2012 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
I was noticing on the 3pi crossover, that when connecting the compression driver, the polarity is opposite depending if using the B&C or Eminence. If one did use the Radian 475 as mentioned above, how would it connect in the 3pi?

Thanks.
Re: 4 pi with alternate compression drivers [message #73122 is a reply to message #73119] Sun, 24 June 2012 19:45 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, I don't know. Don't even know if that driver will work well or not. I mean, on one hand, compression drivers all have some similarities but on the other hand, that doesn't mean they're the same. You'll just have to measure it to see.

Previous Topic: 3 pi sub
Next Topic: 4 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 08:18:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout