Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 π tower: two questions more (Port diameter tolerance / Spikes (cone-shaped feet))
2 π tower: two questions more [message #65761] Wed, 19 January 2011 04:47 Go to next message
tman is currently offline  tman
Chancellor
I looked for these arguments within the forum, but I didn't find
anything (or I may have looked badly...).

1. Is there any tolerance for port diameter? I use metric system
and the equal value of 4" 5/8 (3/4 wood stock) is mm 117,475;
considering that I cut it handmade (with a jigsaw of course),
between which values could I fluctuate?

2. What about spikes (those cone-shaped feet)? There are people
here who spend lots of money for them, because are convinced
that sound improves strongly (especially for "drying" basses).
I read different opinions: someone says it's better using
rubber feet... What do you think about?
Re: 2 π tower: two answers more [message #65765 is a reply to message #65761] Wed, 19 January 2011 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Regarding spikes, mats or rubber feet, I do not feel strongly one way or another about them. I'm not really looking for solid coupling to the floor, nor is it important that it be decoupled. What I don't want is vibration that would cause a buzzing sound, and this can happen whether there is solid coupling or not. As long as that's not happening, the mounting mechanism isn't important to me.

As for port dimensions, it's not terribly critical. Speaker operation parameters shift quite a bit during normal use. We're looking for the Helmholtz frequency to be accurate within a few cycles. Still, this model is probably best to get as close as possible, because it's probably the most sensitive of the line.

What I would suggest is to use 18mm wood stock and make the port 115mm. If you use 19mm wood, make the port 117mm diameter. If you're using a jigsaw, you might want to cut it small, say 1mm to 2mm smaller to start with, and do some finish filing to make it round. That way you won't accidentally go too big. Where port diameter is converned, it's almost always better to err on the side of being slightly too small because that will shift the Helmholtz frequency down, which is "safer" than up.

Re: 2 π tower: two answers more [message #65766 is a reply to message #65765] Wed, 19 January 2011 11:46 Go to previous message
tman is currently offline  tman
Chancellor
Very clear, as usual!

About ports it's exactly how I'm going to do: cutting a little
smaller circle and then finishing it with some mill.

Thank you! Smile
Previous Topic: 7Pi Plans Please
Next Topic: Interested in spikes?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 16:34:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers