Home » Audio » Source » Blu-Ray Disk For Music
Blu-Ray Disk For Music [message #65746] Tue, 18 January 2011 10:32 Go to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
It sounds absurd but will the quality of the music recorded in blu-ray disk become better? Or is it just for the movies? Is it the disk itself that upgrades the quality of the movie?
Re: Blu-Ray Disk For Music [message #65747 is a reply to message #65746] Tue, 18 January 2011 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Most bluray disks sound better. The audio codec is actually up to the publisher, but in my experience, they almost always choose one of the high-def lossless formats. Night and day better sound.

Re: Blu-Ray Disk For Music [message #65758 is a reply to message #65746] Tue, 18 January 2011 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes. If it is mastered at a higher sample and bit rate than Redbook audio (16bit 44.1Khz/20bit for HDCD) or DVD-Audio (24bit 48Khz) you can bet it's going to sound far better. Once you hit 24-bits at 48Khz, the returns are diminished enough to be not worth the money o hassle.

Re: Blu-Ray Disk For Music [message #65781 is a reply to message #65758] Thu, 20 January 2011 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Adveser wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 23:07
Once you hit 24-bits at 48Khz, the returns are diminished enough to be not worth the money o hassle.

Can you explain a bit more on this? What I'm understanding is that any rate higher than 24-bit at 48Khz won't matter anymore because the quality of the sound will be no different so the price is not worth it. Is this correct?
Re: Blu-Ray Disk For Music [message #65783 is a reply to message #65781] Thu, 20 January 2011 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Lancelot wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 19:22
Adveser wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 23:07
Once you hit 24-bits at 48Khz, the returns are diminished enough to be not worth the money o hassle.

Can you explain a bit more on this? What I'm understanding is that any rate higher than 24-bit at 48Khz won't matter anymore because the quality of the sound will be no different so the price is not worth it. Is this correct?

It all depends. Some DVDs may have been mastered using a 16-bit source and the Blu-Ray might me the original analog source.

I made a mistake though, DVD is 20-bits per sample and not 24 as I said. So If Blu-Ray is offering 24 bits, it is a drastic improvement.

I will answer the question as it stands though.

48Khz has a frequency response of up to 24Khz, well past our hearing limits, 96Khz goes up to 48Khz. The catch is anything old enough to be sourced from analog tape is not going to take advantage of that. I have yet to hear any "old" album get anywhere close to the 22Khz of a CD. The other issue is that High-End must be rolled off at some point to sound pleasant. Now in theory a 24-bit noise floor that caps off at 48000hz would not need to be rolled off because our ears will take care of it as long as there are frequencies that high. Until they start recording stuff with microphones that get up to 40,000hz, we are stuck having to roll off.

If you hae a SACD at 24-bits and 96Khz resolution you are in no better shape getting a disc at 24-bits and 192Khz resolution. And depending on the material, you are probably not getting a better frequency response than 44.1Khz can offer. The 16-bits is a problem in so far as you need something to remain fairly loud to be accurate. 24-bits gives you a lot more noise floor and hence a lot more resolution because the noise floor is not masking high frequency information that is barely audible, but yet has a massive effect on the timbre of instruments.

Re: Blu-Ray Disk For Music [message #65845 is a reply to message #65783] Wed, 26 January 2011 03:05 Go to previous message
Viscount
In my simple understanding, our ears will adjust to the level that we can hear it even if the frequencies are too high. I guess the explanation is a bit much for me to take but thanks all the same. Besides, I think we don't need to make the finest sound as long as the music is pleasurable to listen to.
Previous Topic: High Resolution Technologies' iStreamer
Next Topic: Vinyl Review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:33:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout