Home » Audio » Home Theater » Cable Signal & Receiver
Cable Signal & Receiver [message #65649] Tue, 11 January 2011 08:49 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sometimes I really hate my cable company. Their digital boxes seem to have issues switching between regular and HD channels, and I lose audio and/or video. I thought it was my receiver but the issue continued after I got a new receiver. Anyone else have this problem?
Re: Cable Signal & Receiver [message #65651 is a reply to message #65649] Tue, 11 January 2011 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes. I think it is due to the buffer catching up. Can I assume you get your cable and Internet from the same company?

I haven't noticed as such with Time Warner, but Verizon Fios was dependent on your internet speed. Meaning downloading a whole bunch of torrents while watching a movie on demand is likely not going to work.

I would put a heavy burden on my internet connection and see how the cable box performs. If it is pretty much the same, there's nothing you can do. But if your cable box has trouble retrieving on demand content, you may want to upgrade to the next tiered internet service.

The best bet is to use two different companies. However, if you are into downloading premium channel content and also are paying for it, don't expect to get any nasty copyright letters in the mail. They can put two and two together and don't care how you watch it once you are a subscriber.

Re: Cable Signal & Receiver [message #65683 is a reply to message #65651] Thu, 13 January 2011 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, I have cable and internet bundled from Brighthouse. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm doing anything online or not. The issue is not on-demand programs; it occurs just about every time I switch between standard and HD TV channels.
Re: Cable Signal & Receiver [message #65685 is a reply to message #65683] Thu, 13 January 2011 13:04 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It is the TV's fault probably. Mine does this too. It has to buffer some information before it can play anything. My screen sometimes pops up "retrieving data" for a several seconds until the picture comes back. Sometimes the audio disappears.

In my experience, this is fairly common.

Previous Topic: Projector or Big Screen TV
Next Topic: Looking for a Flat Panel HD TV
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:26:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout