Home » Audio » Speaker » Multiple Speakers
Multiple Speakers [message #65648] Tue, 11 January 2011 01:29 Go to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
How many speakers would you recommend to make the movie watching as pleasurable as it can be? I'm using my computer to watch movies and I'm planning to insert additional speakers into the computer.
Re: Multiple Speakers [message #65650 is a reply to message #65648] Tue, 11 January 2011 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Movies -> 5.2 (that's not a typo)

Music -> 2 or 2.2

In case you are wondering, the decimal numbers represent subwoofer channels. I guess the reasoning is they are not full range and thus, not a whole channel.

Adding extra speakers for the same channel for the sake of extra speakers is basically useless unless you have a very large space or are planning a huge concert.

Re: Multiple Speakers [message #65744 is a reply to message #65650] Tue, 18 January 2011 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
So does that mean I need 5 speakers and 2 subwoofers for movies? If I can remember correctly, there was a topic here about multiple subwoofers and it is good to have at least 2 subwoofers.
Re: Multiple Speakers [message #65750 is a reply to message #65648] Tue, 18 January 2011 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenny76 is currently offline  Jenny76
Chancellor
It really depends on your taste and how much bass you want. I personally like having just one sub-woofer, but multiple can sound really cool. If you live in an apartment though, I wouldn't advice it.
Re: Multiple Speakers [message #65759 is a reply to message #65744] Tue, 18 January 2011 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Lancelot wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 10:16
So does that mean I need 5 speakers and 2 subwoofers for movies? If I can remember correctly, there was a topic here about multiple subwoofers and it is good to have at least 2 subwoofers.

Yes. And you must wire them in stereo and not dual mono. The encoding of DVD will not be improved, but music will be far better that way. Just because someone has not learned critical listening skills a producer of music would know does not mean your ears and brain haven't noticed.

Re: Multiple Speakers [message #65762 is a reply to message #65759] Wed, 19 January 2011 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Jenny76 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 19:10
It really depends on your taste and how much bass you want. I personally like having just one sub-woofer, but multiple can sound really cool. If you live in an apartment though, I wouldn't advice it.

The multiple subwoofer technique is done to smooth room modes, not to "make more bass". There is some information about it in the document below, last few pages (including references to several other papers on the subject):
Re: Multiple Speakers [message #65780 is a reply to message #65759] Thu, 20 January 2011 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Adveser wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 23:10

Yes. And you must wire them in stereo and not dual mono. The encoding of DVD will not be improved, but music will be far better that way. Just because someone has not learned critical listening skills a producer of music would know does not mean your ears and brain haven't noticed.

Thanks for the confirmation. Will it make any difference for when I'm listening for music if I have a setup of 2.2 rather than just 2? I guess having a 5.2 setup for movie watching is enough if the player used for movies and music is the same.
Re: Multiple Speakers [message #65785 is a reply to message #65780] Thu, 20 January 2011 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Lancelot wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 19:19
Adveser wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 23:10

Thanks for the confirmation. Will it make any difference for when I'm listening for music if I have a setup of 2.2 rather than just 2? I guess having a 5.2 setup for movie watching is enough if the player used for movies and music is the same.

It will make a big difference if you have the ability to output the lower frequencies flatter for music. It will be like a Bass Boost button that is smooth and not wobbly and you'll hear new things that were too quiet before that you can't get by simply boosting the bass elsewhere.

I am not sure if the amp will turn the subwoofers on in stereo and now that you mention it, it would be a good idea to check. Mine does this with a button that turns off the lowest of the lows going to the mains. I'm not sure if your system will output the subs all the time, unlike the center and surround speakers, which you usually have to use a 6 channel mode instead of stereo, but everything I've ever had ran the subs all the time.

If you are using dedicated sub amps, you aren't going to have any problems of this sort anyway.

Re: Multiple Speakers [message #65844 is a reply to message #65648] Wed, 26 January 2011 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that we cannot hear the sounds made from the subs but we only feel them. The lower the bass, the more we can't hear it but it would be felt if amplified.
Re: Multiple Speakers [message #65846 is a reply to message #65648] Wed, 26 January 2011 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Your ear can hear down to 20hz. Your ears can also pick up sound by it conducting through the inner ear bones and it can cause resonance in your body.

You are hearing it too, our ears start rolling bass off though so the conduction is more pronounced at these frequencies. That's probably because we amplify it elsewhere in the body and it has a bigger effect. Bass can physically move air like a blow dryer just as treble can feel like it is melting the hair on your ears as it screams by.

Previous Topic: Glass Speakers
Next Topic: Bose LA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:35:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout