Home » Audio » Speaker » Can you Patch the Hole in a Speaker?
Can you Patch the Hole in a Speaker? [message #65538] Mon, 03 January 2011 18:54 Go to next message
GuitarStrings is currently offline  GuitarStrings
Baron
It's sad but true. I accidentally ripped apart the front of one of my stereo speakers while I was rearranging furniture. Miraculously, the speaker still works, though a bit warped.

Is there any way I can patch the hole or should I just spend my hard-earned cash to buy a new set?

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

Re: Can you Patch the Hole in a Speaker? [message #65566 is a reply to message #65538] Tue, 04 January 2011 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
why not just replace the driver?

Re: Can you Patch the Hole in a Speaker? [message #65571 is a reply to message #65566] Wed, 05 January 2011 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, it probably doesn't make sense to recone the lesser expensive drivers. If it has a pressed basket, it probably makes more sense to just replace the whole driver. In fact, that's probably your only option for most drivers like that.

But there are recone kits available for the more expensive drivers. In my experience, it's best to buy from the manufacturer, not a third-party. The best example I can think of are the JBL Professional Series parts. The recone kits from JBL are genuine replacement parts, and make the driver as-new. Aftermarket stuff is not nearly as good.

Re: Can you Patch the Hole in a Speaker? [message #65576 is a reply to message #65538] Wed, 05 January 2011 14:01 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
To add to Wayne's point: replacing Sony parts are not cheap, but that is mostly because their pro gear has a lifetime warranty and they want to fix it themselves, for free.

For example, I think ordering two new drivers for the MDR-7506 actually exceeds the retail price of the whole unit.

Previous Topic: Magnepan 1.7 Crossover
Next Topic: Glass Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:04:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout